Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Iris - buyer beware

Looks like they did a Kickstart to launch this product - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...res-creativity. There are some interesting comments on the link and perhaps that is a good way to make contact.

There is also a portfolio for the designer, but no contact info there. Looks like the three principles are students, or were last year - https://www.makerscabinet.com/blogs/...-dominic-irons

Left click my name for homepage link.

Derek,

Their e-commerce site is hosted by Shopify. I’ve never dealt with Shopify, but if it is anything like eBay or Amazon they’ll have some type of buyer protection. Maybe if you submit your experience to Shopify you’ll get some results. For the kind of money they’re charging for this gizmo it’s worth a try at least.

Stephen, thanks for the idea. I looked up Shopify, and went to their website. It appears that they are only interested in supporting their customers, that is, those that buy up space on their web system. They do not provide for advice with the public who have an issue with their customer.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 12-21-2020 at 7:27 AM.

Oops, my bad. Spotify, not Shopify. I hate auto spell correct. I got a new phone and forgot to disable it. Still, kind of a weird correction.

That said, Spotify’s policy makes your experience even harder to swallow. It’s unfortunate, but unless we’re dealing with well-established companies, I guess we need to be extremely wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    It’s unfortunate, but unless we’re dealing with well-established companies, I guess we need to be extremely wary.
    I've run into enough companies that are seemingly using Covid as an excuse to fail to provide service, I'm not sure if 'well-established' companies are trustworthy anymore either. I'm still waiting for item replacement, from May, from at least one (outside woodworking, but ... and more irritatingly NO COMMUNICATION). My experience with what are traditionally durable goods suppliers this year has been the same.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've run into enough companies that are seemingly using Covid as an excuse to fail to provide service, I'm not sure if 'well-established' companies are trustworthy anymore either. I'm still waiting for item replacement, from May, from at least one (outside woodworking, but ... and more irritatingly NO COMMUNICATION). My experience with what are traditionally durable goods suppliers this year has been the same.
    Mike,

I was referring to woodworking companies. Except for greatly reduced manufacturing capabilities and the resulting lack of products, my experiences, including communication, with LN, Lee Valley and TFWW, to name a few, have remained the same. But you’re right, rightly or wrongly some companies are using COVID as an excuse for, shall we say, less than desirable service. I, for one, will not forget who those companies are when/if the apocalypse passes.

Derek, I have an out of the box idea. I dont know whether it would suit you. But you might try to contact Adam Savage and tell him that they are using his video (implied endorsement), but taking crappy care of customers. When I googled his company I found adamsavage.com and this contact info. It might be a place to start from....

"For Savage Merchandising and store related matters:
    PO Box 14665
    San Francisco, CA 94114-0665
    info@savageindustriesshop.com"

Good luck Sir!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-21-2020 at 3:43 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... try to contact Adam Savage ....
    +1

Absolutely let him know. I've met Adam and I'm sure he wouldn't like this.

But with COVID, the holidays, and the major lock down in the SF Bay Area, (a little more than the big California lock down,) be patient. I know he's got people and I suspect he won't get any messages directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I thought I seen this item on a facebook or youtube ad.
    I am very leery of all those ad's, lots of those items arecrap or very very cheap knockoffs / downright lies, not really the item.
    Recently facebook has been having a ad for a edge chamfering plane. They are showing a woodpecker tool with wood pecker branding. But when you click on the ad it's some no name company with a picture of the wood pecker tool.
    Now in the last week, in the ad video they blur out both the woodpecker logo and the made in USA logo.

Another one was a ad for a giant RC gas powered monster truck (like 2ft tall wit serious power) all aluminum construction,etc etc for 79. When you read the comments the people who actually boght it received a little tiny plastic rc truck.

Buyer beware of all youtube and Facebook ads.
    There are many Woodpecker imitations showing up on Amazon. The chamfering plane is one: I bought one from Woodpecker and it works well. Amazon has a most brazen knock-off, even using Woodpecker’s name in the ad. There are also T square tools, even using same name.

Truly buyer beware! If you knowingly buy a knock-off, well assume all responsibility if it doesn’t work. But if you buy items such as the Iris, as Derek has, or any of these tools Amazon is selling, that lead you to think you’re getting the real deal, then the vendor should make good on the deception.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I feel your pain...... I ordered this same item about 6-7 months ago. All I ever received was a pack of the pencils. t least you can draw a circle of 1 size.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Derek, I have an out of the box idea. I dont know whether it would suit you. But you might try to contact Adam Savage and tell him that they are using his video (implied endorsement), but taking crappy care of customers. When I googled his company I found adamsavage.com and this contact info. It might be a place to start from....

"For Savage Merchandising and store related matters:
    PO Box 14665
    San Francisco, CA 94114-0665
    info@savageindustriesshop.com"

Good luck Sir!
    Fred
    Fred, thanks for the link. I emailed Adam Savage. Also suggested that he consider removing the video from YouTube.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I feel your pain...... I ordered this same item about 6-7 months ago. All I ever received was a pack of the pencils. t least you can draw a circle of 1 size.

Jim
    Jim, What did you do? Did you try and make contact?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    I sent an email to some address that was on site and they tried to say I only ordered the pack of pencils. I tried to explain that I don't normally pay $15 for a 12 pack of #2 lead pencils! I argued with them but to no avail.....I just gave up and wrote it off as a learning experience. I did think the idea for the tool was novel and worth giving it a try.
    Jim

Call your credit card company. They will contact the seller and demand the issue be resolved. If the seller doesn’t, or the seller blows off the credit card company, a chargeback will happen and you’ll get your money back. Just don’t wait because there’s a time limit (in the U.S. I think it’s 60 days or 30 days, can’t remember).

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    Call your credit card company. They will contact the seller and demand the issue be resolved. If the seller doesn’t, or the seller blows off the credit card company, a chargeback will happen and you’ll get your money back. Just don’t wait because there’s a time limit (in the U.S. I think it’s 60 days or 30 days, can’t remember).
    When I looked at their site, they didn't seem to accept credit major cards. (I was unfamiliar with the two payment options listed. Could be I just misunderstood though..)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-25-2020 at 8:50 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”