Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Iris - buyer beware

The Iris - buyer beware

I posted about this tool several weeks ago, having watched and been taken by a video by Adam Savage about The Iris, a circle-drawing tool, on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQF...2%80%99sTested

https://www.makerscabinet.com/products/iris

Since receiving it, I must update my earlier post with a review to warn others against purchasing this tool. Customer support appears to be absent. Should something be faulty, you will not receive any assistance.

My order was filled and the Iris arrived quickly .... but it was not working - stuck fast in the open position. I emailed the company on three occasions over a period of two weeks (once from their own website portal), and so far not received a reply. At this time I have an expensive paperweight.

This is not a tool one can take apart, and clean out oneself (something is catching inside, I expect). If I tried to do this (and I am handy), it would never go back together again. My recommendation at this time would be to give this company a wide berth. I shall update this review if-and-when they get back to me and deal with the problem.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    That is sad to hear.

Hope something happens to change the outcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I thought I seen this item on a facebook or youtube ad.
    I am very leery of all those ad's, lots of those items arecrap or very very cheap knockoffs / downright lies, not really the item.
    Recently facebook has been having a ad for a edge chamfering plane. They are showing a woodpecker tool with wood pecker branding. But when you click on the ad it's some no name company with a picture of the wood pecker tool.
    Now in the last week, in the ad video they blur out both the woodpecker logo and the made in USA logo.

Another one was a ad for a giant RC gas powered monster truck (like 2ft tall wit serious power) all aluminum construction,etc etc for 79. When you read the comments the people who actually boght it received a little tiny plastic rc truck.

Buyer beware of all youtube and Facebook ads.

And Derek
    Sorry about your experience. Nothing like waiting for a item to arrive and then it's faulty. I find that no matter how many tools I have I'm always excited to get something knew and want to use it immediately.

Absolutely Michael. Worse than this, I posted about seeing this before I purchased it and, so close the Christmas, I was concerned that others would be tempted to purchase one.

If I have a problem with a tool, I contact the manufacturer/Seller and explain, and give them a chance to make it right. I would never go to a forum first. Good customer service will make me a fan again. I warned Makers Cabinet that I would do so if they failed to reply (after discovering other similar reviews in the meantime).

Two bad reviews here: Tim West - I bought my girlfriend their golden circle as a... | Facebook

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The following is from their terms of service:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time. "

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would hazard Neville Cox has an ultrasonic bath.
    This should be right up his alley.

This mechanism was once commonplace in camera lenses and notorious for hydrolock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."
    Wow, they are not even trying.
    But I hope the op can sort things out.

https://www.makerscabinet.com/pages/about-us

Perhaps you can connect to one of these guys

Can purchase a similar, possibly the same tool on amazon for 40 bucks or less - shipped fron China

Derek
    Thank you for posting this as it is on my to buy list, almost had my wife buy it or my Christmas present
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Can purchase a similar, possibly the same tool on amazon for 40 bucks or less - shipped fron China
    Thanks John. None of the representatives of the company provide an email address. Their website provides a contact form, which I tried, and I also had their email address from the receip, which I tried twice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    John, it is not the same as the Chinese versions.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have their pencil sharpener, I hope it works well. If that is broken, it is more likely that I can fix it than the iris, however. I hope it works well given that it looks like they have no customer service at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

Without fail I read the terms of service, shipping and return policies before I order something from a vendor I’ve never dealt with. But I can honestly say I’ve never seen anything like this.