Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon..."suspicious activity" scam?

Amazon..."suspicious activity" scam?

Lately I've been getting phone calls from different people saying they're from Amazon advising me of suspicious activity on my Amazon account and that my credit card was being charged varying amounts. I'm either to call back a number or push 1 on my phone to verify my purchase. I'm assuming this is an information phishing scheme? My online account shows no new orders. Anyone else experiencing these calls? Does Amazon actually call people?

No, I've never known Amazon to call anyone. My bet its a scam
    Regards,

Tom

Scam scam scam.

Absolutely a scam. I don't answer any number that's not in my contact list. I don't even think there is a phone number connected to my Amazon account. I will have to look but it's guaranteed they wouldn't reach out to you by phone unless you initiate the contact. The scammers are working every angle these days.

Blog Entries
    There are more scams than stars in the sky going on right now.

One even got a bit nasty with me the other day for asking him not to call again.

My old SIT.file has been put to use a lot lately when the number on caller ID looks phony.

Couldn't find a way to upload the file here and Google looks like there are a lot of information on the tone but after checking a few, this one has downloadable files > https://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porti...uncements.html < They are longer than the file on my computer.

Click on the file and on the left end of the player there are some dots. Clicking on those gives the option to download the file.

My file only has the tones of a disconnected number. It plays through QuickTime and my usual routine is to have it at the ready in the lower corner of my screen:

Disconect Ready to go.png

It is usually behind any other programs. A quick click and a tap on the space bar is all it takes while holding the phone next to my speakers.

For a while it tends to drop the number of robocalls.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

scam. And I'm getting emails saying the same thing. And they dont even have my phone number or email in my account info.

Think about it. How would Amazon know what my card was being charged? -they can't be monitoring my bank cards. Unless they themselves were charging it, and then they should already know they were the problem.

I have an iPhone app for each of my credit cards and in the few times that I've had suspicious activity they always sent me a message through the app, or a text, alerting me to the charge and asking me if I made it. I don't think I ever received a phone call about those activities.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have received the calls, didn't provide any personal information of any kind, hung up, went online and checked my Amazon account which showed absolutely no current activity. It's a scam.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I was getting the same messages. I checked the incoming numbers and the number they wanted me to call. The were always from different area codes hundreds or thousands of miles apart. I reported the calls and numbers to Amazon. There have been no charges to my cards.

Big time scam I get those calls and I don't have an Amazon account

The only times Amazon has ever called me is when I’ve asked them to. It’s unbelievably hard to even get them to do _that_.

They certainly have better things to do with their time. :^)

My 93 year old mother-in-law was taken in by this. (She doesn't even have an Amazon account; my wife has things sent to her from our Amazon account, hence her confusion.) Someone claiming to be from Amazon called on her house phone and asked her to open her computer while they had her on the line. They were in the process of gaining access to her hard drive when my wife just happened to call her cell phone and interrupt things. We had to freeze her bank accounts, have her computer scrubbed (yes, malware had been installed) and it was a huge hassle all around, made more challenging by the pandemic. And they keep calling. And calling. And calling. It's appalling.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

110% scam. Do not call. Do not give them any information. You can easily check the status of your account(s) by logging onto both Amazon and your credit card provider(s)'s sites in the normal fashion (not via any link in those emails) and verify things are fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They're combing voter records for people over 50.

Anyone receiving these calls under 50?

Thanks all for reaffirming my thoughts.