Thread: 30amp 250v receptacle

30amp 250v receptacle

I am putting in a 30amp 220v circuit / receptacle for a new dust collector. I picked up a Leviton 2620 30amp 250v receptacle which is a L6-30r.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...2620/301305006

It requires a cover plate 812c made by Raco (4x4 2 gang box) or Leviton 84020-40 single gang box. These plates are 1.56 (or 1.6) diameter hole. My preference is to use a 4x4 box so I am not fighting with wires.

Well, nobody local sells these covers. Ironic how home depot sells a receptacle but doesn't carry the cover plate for it. Lowes carries it but not local and it cost 4 times more to ship it than the plate costs.

So - what are people using for a 30 amp 220v receptacle? This device only requires 2 hots and ground using 10-2 cable.

Blog Entries
    Any electrical supply distributor will carry that cover. They are very common.

I put in an L5-30 for a UPS earlier, I believe that they are the same size.

Home depot had a cover plate, though the 1st time I ordered it they sent the wrong size. This one is listed as 1.62 and fits very nicely.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RACO-4-i...812C/100152461

Will the Raco 810c work? It’s available at some Lowe’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cooper2 View Post
    I put in an L5-30 for a UPS earlier, I believe that they are the same size.

Home depot had a cover plate, though the 1st time I ordered it they sent the wrong size. This one is listed as 1.62 and fits very nicely.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RACO-4-i...812C/100152461
    That is the exact cover I need - but it's not available at Home depot anymore. I checked all the local stores and even to ship to store. I found a local electrical supply one that will fit - for more $$$ than the cost of internet purchase + shipping. Go figure. This should be a $2 part.

The one here shows lots of them in stock. Give me your address and I’ll send you one for Christmas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok well apparently home depot needs to fix their search engine. I once again did a search for 812C and this time, the plate came back and it's available in most of the home depots. I have been in software development for 25 years - so I am not sure this one was user error

Home depot and lowes search function do not work for meat all. The more limiters I input the more results I get?
    I would buy a blank plate and drill the hole.
    Bill d

I used the L6-30 in my own shop and found the cover plates at Lowes. I also used the single size box.

A little confused...
    The Raco cover mentioned in the op and the one Bruce posted is for a surface mounted box. The Leviton cover is for a flush mounted box.

I assume Mike’s single gang installation is flush mounted, maybe?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    A little confused...
    The Raco cover mentioned in the op and the one Bruce posted is for a surface mounted box. The Leviton cover is for a flush mounted box.

I assume Mike’s single gang installation is flush mounted, maybe?
    Correct - in my case I want the Raco since I am using a surface mount 4x4 box.

I just installed a 30amp 250v for a CNC machine and bought all the supplies on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Correct - in my case I want the Raco since I am using a surface mount 4x4 box.
    With a 4” square box fill space is probably not an issue, but that cover has the crushed corners and is suitable to eliminate the equipment ground jumper to your device. Use the enclosed screws and serrated nuts to secure the strap, make sure your box is grounded, either via the conduit or an equipment ground conductor and snug everything down.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    With a 4” square box fill space is probably not an issue, but that cover has the crushed corners and is suitable to eliminate the equipment ground jumper to your device. Use the enclosed screws and serrated nuts to secure the strap, make sure your box is grounded, either via the conduit or an equipment ground conductor and snug everything down.
    Ok - So I am not following something here. The machine itself has ground (bare/green) that is connected to the machine and on the other end, the plug's ground prong. The receptacle is wired to the romax ground, as is the ground screw on the metal electrical box. And of course the ground in the electric panel is grounded properly to a grounding rod. The machine's grounding instructions only call for the primary grounding wire to be connected to a properly grounded system, and of course additional grounding requirements for the dust ductwork if using plastic / pvc.

Would you clarify what strap you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Ok - So I am not following something here. The machine itself has ground (bare/green) that is connected to the machine and on the other end, the plug's ground prong. The receptacle is wired to the romax ground, as is the ground screw on the metal electrical box. And of course the ground in the electric panel is grounded properly to a grounding rod. The machine's grounding instructions only call for the primary grounding wire to be connected to a properly grounded system, and of course additional grounding requirements for the dust ductwork if using plastic / pvc.

Would you clarify what strap you are referring to?
    If you have already connected the ground wire to your receptacle it is moot.
    But NEC 250.146 allows you to skip this step if:

Your metal box is grounded. AND
    Your raised metal cover has flats where it is connected to the box AND
    Your device is connected to the cover by at least 2 points AND
    The points are relatively secured (rivets or screws with lock-type nuts) AND
    The cover is listed for that use

That Raco cover meets specs
    Had you been pressed for space inside your box, you could have eliminated the need for a ground wire and it’s associated pigtails by
    using the conduit as the approved ground to your box, then using the box to ground the cover, then using the cover to ground your receptacle.

A listed ex-posed work cover shall be permitted to be the grounding
    and bonding means when (1) the device is attached to the
    cover with at least two fasteners that are permanent (such
    as a rivet) or have a thread locking or screw or nut locking
    means and (2) when the cover mounting holes are located
    on a flat non-raised portion of the cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images