Thread: Modifications to Porter Cable Dovetail Jig (4210, 4212, 4216) for consistent results

Modifications to Porter Cable Dovetail Jig (4210, 4212, 4216) for consistent results

I found the Porter Cable Dovetail Jig model 4212 would not give me consistent results in tightness of joint and alignment of pieces. With a few modifications to eliminate variation, I was able to get consistent results. I keep a dedicated router with the bit installed so that I can set up quickly and make a perfect fitting drawer on first try without any adjustments to the jig or router. Saves a lot of time.
    Modifications are explained in this YouTube Video https://youtu.be/hTRCSAM-YTk

I am interested in any other ideas to improve the Porter Cable Dovetail Jig
    Last edited by Steven Woodward; 12-17-2020 at 3:23 PM.

Broken link?

Fixed link. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have two dedicated routers for dovetail jig. First is 1/4" spiral carbide endmill to hog out the waste a little above final depth. The the dovetail bit adjusted for depth of cut. It saves a lot of wear and force on the expensive dovetail bit.
    Bill D

Nice video. Thanks! I have the Keller jig but thinking of an upgrade.

Blog Entries
    I have a similar jig with the same type of clamping mechanism and I also use scrap blocks on the opposite side when clamping narrow drawer pieces. However, I added rare eath magnets so the one in the vertical clamp doesn't slide out while adjusting or removing the work piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Love the video. It is very clearly done and easy to follow and understand. I had thought of some of those mods, but not nearly as thorough as you explain it.

Do you always use the same thickness wood?

Thank you.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Excellent video. I already did the nuts on the positioning posts and plan to put the screw in to to keep the top of the positioning stop from wiggling. I believe the real secret is having a dedicated rooter, bit depth is key.

Good info.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thank you for taking the time to create an excellent video.
    Loran Galey
    Do good and be good and you will be happy.

Thanks. Even though I have a different jig, that was 8 minutes well spent!
    Just a Duffer

Thanks for posting this video, well done. My results from using the PC jig were never completely consistent. I’ll give these modifications a try.

Excellent video.

Well done. Thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Love the video. It is very clearly done and easy to follow and understand. I had thought of some of those mods, but not nearly as thorough as you explain it.

Do you always use the same thickness wood?

Thank you.
    Found I can change thickness of the wood without making any adjustments to the jig.