Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell ornament

Bell ornament

The old thread showing the bell ornament that Curt Fuller detailed intrigued me and I had to try one. Glued up three blanks and turned one for a test this evening. Relatively easy to glue and turn, a fun project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice design Robert! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That looks great! Can't wait to try one.
    Tom

Well done. I like it a lot.

Thought I would revive this old thread for anyone looking for ideas and inspiration to make Christmas ornaments. Do a forum search using "ornament" and the name Curt Fuller.
    Last edited by Robert Hayward; 12-06-2021 at 3:24 PM.

That's just a doggone good looking piece!

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Simply beautiful! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    The old thread showing the bell ornament that Curt Fuller detailed intrigued me and I had to try one. Glued up three blanks and turned one for a test this evening. Relatively easy to glue and turn, a fun project.
    Wonderful! I remember the thread but never tried one like that. You're gonna make me finally do one!

BTW, for more fun I suggest adding a clapper. I make a lot of bell ornaments and people always try "ringing" them and turn them over to look at the clapper.
    I simply turn a piece that fits through a hole in the bell into a mortise in the bottom of the handle, then attach a turned clapper to a wire, thread, or piece of fishing line. I cut one in half to show the construction:

bells_cutaway_IMG_5169.jpg bells1_comp.jpg

Since making those, I've simplified things to eliminate the unneeded loop connection to the clapper and simply glue the end of the brass wire directly into a little hole. (lower right sketch) I get the wires from the hobby store with a loop already made on one end.

handbell_ornament_diagram-3.jpg

I adjust the length of the wire so the clapper is just visible from the side when hanging on the tree.

JKJ

Your workmanship on your bell ornaments is outstanding. Even the detail on your turned clapper. I purposely do not include a clapper so people do not "ring" the bell and dent the wood up inside.

My reason for digging up the old Curt Fuller thread was to get the dimensions he used, it had been a while since I turned his segmented plywood bells. I am going to try alternating wood and cast resin. Make three pieces wood and then secure them in the proper orientation and cast colored resin in the three empty spaces. Then turn as normal. Also going to try and make some 1/8" thick sheets of colored resin to use instead of plywood for the sandwiched core.

In case your wondering why, I bought a four quart pack of Alumilite Amazing Clear for ~$90 shipped a couple weeks ago when they had a big sale. Have to find something to make with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    In case your wondering why, I bought a four quart pack of Alumilite Amazing Clear for ~$90 shipped a couple weeks ago when they had a big sale. Have to find something to make with it.
    What a terrible problem to have! I'd LOVE to see more photos of your turnings.

BTW, I usually make the clapper of the same piece of wood as the handle and connector. It's small and pretty low on mass and density; never saw one dent wood.

If you like making bells I should send you a piece of acrylic to experiment with. I got started turning it when someone gave me some short pieces and since then I found a source and bought some more. Fun to turn and polishes easily. Good for non bell ornaments and other things too!

acrylic_ornament_green_bell.jpg

acrylic_IMG_5667.jpg acrylic_IMG_5671.jpg Ring_keepers_olive_IMG_7555.jpg

JKJ

Have admired that green bell in other posts you have made as I am partial to green. Does acrylic turn like the resins we buy and cast at home? I would like to try a piece.

Bell ornaments can be fun. I made one for a C&T back in 2009 in which I put a bell in it.B7.jpg

That is a nice looking ornament also Ed. What finish did you use?

I'm going to guess it was just Minwax WOP, but I'm not positive

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Bell ornaments can be fun. I made one for a C&T back in 2009 in which I put a bell in it.B7.jpg
    That's a nice idea! Where did you find the bell?
    Also, what is C&T?