Thread: Floor Planer Shorten End Tables?

Floor Planer Shorten End Tables?

Im considering a 15” helical planer, upgrade from a 17 year old 13” Ridgid Lunchbox tp13002. The big issue is space in my 1+ car garage.
    I have my eye on the G0891. The G1021x2 seems like a better value, but is wider and heavier.
    I would mount it on a mobile base to keep it out of my way, but the 49” length is still a killer. Im wondering how wise/feasible it would be to either shorten the in/out feed tables, build my own smaller ones, or attach some fold up tables like the portable ones have.

Anyone have some good insight On these thoughts?

Ive definitely also considered a DW735 with shelix blades for space saving....but that is definitely a lot of money to dump into another lower powered lunchbox, which will still be underpowered.

Blog Entries
    My experience with planers is that the longer tables help reduce snipe.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Delta DC 380. The bed height is fixed, and the head raises and lowers, similar to a lunch box.The stand included fold down tables, so it stores in a space just a few inches larger than the planner it's self. The biggest draw back to this type is changing out the knives, but with a helical head you won't do this very often.

I have Ben looking for a pair of cast iron extension tables for my Bridgewood BW15p and as I understand it the Grizzly g1021 would match up great. I have a pair of extensions that are the single roller style that I would swap you as they are only about 15” maybe less. Or if you would want to sell the tables if you go with the 1021.

Hi Ryan, I have a Hammer A3-31, I would estimate that the planer table is under 2 feet in length.

I do have a 16" removable extension on it, however it produces zero snipe with or without the extension. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a planer with a short bed or remove the extensions if you want.........Rod.

P.S. Before that I had a General planer, it had a short bed as well.

I think you're overthinking this. Just don't attach the add-on infeed/outfeed tables if you don't have the space. They're not a requirement to use the machine. I don't have them attached on my 20" planer. They don't do as much as you think. Most of use tend to hand support boards as they feed into the planer anyway.

Read the specs again. Those two models without extension tables are only 4" different in length and 1/2" different in width. Plus the X2 model is actually 1" less than the G0891 measured across the tables.

In preparation for the arrive of my A3-31, I just sold my 15" Grizzly Planer (G1021) that I ran without the Roller extension tables most of the time. It was easy to store that way and most of the time the extensions weren't needed to get snipe free work. It was reasonably quick to attach one if needed for a job.

This is great info from all of you, and very much appreciated.

Lisa Starr, at approximately what size lumber did you feel the need to put the extensions on?

A couple of you now have me eyeballing the Hammer A3-31! That might be a better overall tool for me, as I also need a jointer. My table top jointer has always been an exercise in frustration management...its a shame, aside from size limitations of them, its really just the unreliable/flexible/cant-be-square nature of the fence that makes them so tough to get good results from.

Overthinking is under-rated...says someone guilty of always doing so. Its good to know that the extension tables really aren't needed.
    Thank you.

For thicknessing, if the machine is properly adjusted and you use good feed technique, you will have limited issues with snipe and given it's always a best practice to run with a few extra inches of material when milling lumber, you should be ok. Longer tables on a planer do make it more convenient for you, the operator, as they add support that you don't have to provide as much with your hands, but as noted, you can easily get away with out them It's a little different for face and edge jointing because of the nature of how you feed material though each pass. Length is your friend there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't know where you live, however consider the planer than William Chain has listed for sale here. It has fold down roller extensions on both sides
    I think this would be the best of two worlds, compact yet has support when needed
    Ron

edit to add: This bunch has me lusting after an A3-41 just no way no how will it fit in my basement shop UNLESS I have the new master bedroom addition that wife wants put on (with a full basement under it for an addition to the shop). Of course this addition would be big enough to create a walk out basement with room for a sliding table saw, edge sander and stroke sander and...
    just have to work long enough to pay for it all and I am at full retirement age now. Such a rabbit hole to dive down.
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 12-18-2020 at 9:12 AM.

Ryan - Usually ran up thru 6' long without the extension tables for thicknesses up thru 8/4. If thicker, I needed the tables sooner because I'm a weakling.

Blog Entries
    An alternate view; I would like longer rather than shorter tables. Stock control is proportional to the quality of the result. Proper table and machine alignment eliminates snipe. That being said I was able to overcome snipe on a lunchbox by elevating the ends of the board during infeed and outfeed. It boils down to how much material you want to lop off versus the gain of fitting the machine in your space. I would sacrifice a lot of board length (remove sniped ends) over the years rather than do without a planer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a similarly-aged Ridgid TP1300 planer on a stand, and recently purchased a used Jet JWP-15 planer to replace it. The Jet really doesn't take up a whole lot of extra space, even with the extension tables, if you already have the Ridgid on it's own cart or stand.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983