Thread: Small Tool Dust Extraction

Question Small Tool Dust Extraction

Most of my google searches end up bring me here, so this seemed like the place to ask my question.

I've developed a pretty good stable of smaller tools (new dewalt jobsite table saw, router table, really old delta lunchbox planer, benchtop bandsaw, handheld sanders, etc...) After building my daughter's crib last year it became evident that I need to improve my dust/chip capture. My craftsman shopvac just isn't cutting it. The "HEPA" filter I threw in there clogs really fast when sanding, it can't keep up with the planer, and the thing is just a pain to wheel around the shop.

Based on my research, the only tool I have right now that a full-size dust collector will be useful for is my planer. The 2.5" ports on the rest of the tools will choke airflow to a full size dust collector and it just won't do anything. On top of that, I'm just not ready to install a good 2 stage collector and run all the piping. If I bought right now I'd probably just end up with a cheapo single stage that I'd end up junking or hocking for pennies in a couple years.

So, I'm looking at dust extractors. Money isn't unlimited, but I prefer to buy once and own forever where I can. I've considered a festool or even a more budget minded makita, but I think the best system that will meet my needs right now and continue to be an asset in the future is a Dust Cobra.
    • 200 CFM after 25' of hose should be better than the claimed 150 or so my shop vac gets before adding a dust deputy cyclone (or similar).
    • Should be a perfect fit for most of my small tools - though I know I'll probably have to find a way to control flow for my random orbit sander.
    • As I upgrade my shop it should continue to be a good fit for those tools that remain small, and see service as a whole shop vacuum.
    • Might improve experience collecting from the planer - though I'm mentally prepared for the fact that it likely will continue to fall short.

Besides cost... Any downsides here? Obviously not as mobile as a typical dust extractor, but I'm not going to client homes or antyhing and I still have my shop vac for those odd jobs around my house.

The dust cobra will be nice for small tools . At $1000 , I don't think I'd spend it at this point . It of course it depends on what sort of work you do , but I'd upgrade the tablesaw , bandsaw , maybe the planer . If your still using "benchtop" tools , is that the long term plan . A new vac , dust deputy , nice flexible hose your only at $300 - $400 for small tools . Leave's some cash for other possible changes . Did you buy the Dewalt saw new ? That can be a bridge to a bigger saw someday . There is always something else to get ( clamps , hand tools , etc. ) . Good luck , Mike .

Some coarse filtering maybe in-order. Find some women's stockings and pull over the filter (without a leg in it). Run-free stockings preferred.

It's definitely true what you say about always something else to get. I should probably look at some of the middle options again. Clamps, why does it seem like you can never have enough clamps? I am (currently) mostly satisified with my stable of hand tools though...

And yeah, the bandsaw/tablesaw/planer will eventually be upgraded from their benchtop/portable versions. The dewalt was purchased new - I'll probably stretch it until I'm ready to upgrade to a cabinet saw. I've got money tabbed for an 8" jointer (no more planer sled!) and dust collection for current tools right now. After those purchases and a couple projects I've promised the better half, I'll be in full shop renovation/construction mode: some minor water remediation, a basement egress (for convenience and fire safety), walls, electrical, and lighting all need to be addressed before anymore major tool upgrades.

cheap vacuums like Ridgid that take a bag save your filter from clogging and make emptying vacuum easier, though they do cut down on how soon you need to empty vacuum and add extra expense for bag.

My 10 inch Ryobi AP-10 generates a LOT of chips. My 2hp HF DC pulling through an Oneida Super Dust Deputy can keep up but only if I am sure to close the other gates. I doubt anything working through a 2.5 inch hose can get all the chips when you are planning a wide board in your planner. The dust cobra looks like a nice system but I think it will get some but not nearly all the planner chips. But it could clean up the rest. I have a 70 gallon box under my super dust deputy and it fills pretty fast when running the planner. It generates far more material than anything other than my jointer. My PCS, CMS, router table, and bandsaw do not generate nearly the same amount and might work well on a dust cobra.

Another supporter of shop vac bags.

They handle dust much better than the regular filter. Paid with a dust deputy might make for a good stopgap before a full blown dc system. That being said I'm using the hf 2hp dust collector and it works quite well.

Hi Mike
    I have the Dust Cobra in my small basement shop and am pretty happy with it. However it is not a dust collector. It is a supersized shop vac. The volume is not enough to do a good job with full sized machines. OTOH it is great at cleaning up. It does help to clean the air.
    (dinner is on, more later)

Dinner was good, thanks for asking.

The Cobra is fairly quiet. I have installed it just outside the shop and it is about as loud as the furnace. It is piped with 3" PVC and stubbed into the shop, plus a couple of remote connections to serve as central vac for the rest of the basement. It would work fine for the rest of the house but we have all hard surfaced floors so not much use there.

DC Lift h.jpgDC Drum.jpgDC Reinf Lid.jpgDC Hose h.jpg

Emptying the drum required some McGivering. The unit is heavy and must be lifted off. Unlatch drum, lift, hook chain, slide drum out.

Also the drum was a bit flimsy so I added a couple of staves.

The hose hangs on a pot that came with a tree in it.

Remote start is great.

I use a dipstick and a rubber plug to check drum level.