Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What this country needs is a good 25 dollar tool roll for chisels!

What this country needs is a good 25 dollar tool roll for chisels!

Got done gifting those who were neither naughty nor pouty and Googled around last night for that best boy of all, me. All I want is a tool roll for my chisels. That shouldn't be a big ask, right? Some are in boxes and the rest, acquired piecemeal, on shelves or in drawers. Very unsatisfactory. My files (upper left), which came from Garrett-Wade a lifetime ago , arrived in this very useful roll made of good old denim.

IMG_4929.jpg

Not Rockler, not Woodcraft, or Amazon have anything so simple or worthy. Some chisel sets come in something like it but I have enough chisels, thank you. Veritas has nothing useful and a few other searches yielded naught but storage for carving or turning gouges.

Room for a dozen will do.

Help a guy out?
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Bill, you have stumbled upon the first task of entrepreneurship! Find a need. This is your opportunity to hit the big time. Epstein’s Tool Rolls. I would reserve the web domain as soon as possible before someone gets it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Learn to sew, find someone who can sew, Texas Heritage makes some nice tool rolls. The problem is when you have different chisels, all unique in shape and size.

TFWW used to sell a denim one that was pretty good-might try there. Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Perhaps you know a leatherworker that could make one in suede or leather.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bill, you have stumbled upon the first task of entrepreneurship! Find a need. This is your opportunity to hit the big time. Epstein’s Tool Rolls. I would reserve the web domain as soon as possible before someone gets it.
    for 25 bucks, I'll place the first order. You are on your way!
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    What is wrong with this one?

Tool Roll.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Bora-503110-L...8153075&sr=8-8

It is one short of a dozen…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I have two different ones from Woodcraft, two different ones from TFWW, and another from Taylor Toolworks. The Taytool one is the cheapest and least nice. I'm using it to store the extra "other" chisels. The TFWW ones are very simple, but I find one of them nicest for chisels. The WoodRiver chisel roll seemed small (with 8 slots) and their tool roll wasn't really for chisels, but is very useful for packing up misc other stuff. (E.g. dividers, marking knife, pencils, marking gauges, and I forget what else.)

Or, take Mary May's advice and sew your own (from e.g. old jeans.)

I have the carhartt legacy tool roll at work. I have been pretty happy with it. And its only $25 on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What is wrong with this one?

Tool Roll.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Bora-503110-L...8153075&sr=8-8

It is one short of a dozen…

jtk
    I saw a few from Bora at Amazon but not that one. It's perfect and I just ordered it. Thank you.

There goes my new career, though.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Blog Entries
    I don't go cheap, but this is what I have.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chis...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    https://www.etsy.com/search?explicit...s_discounted=1
    Why would you put hundreds of dollars in tools in some thing flimsy?

I bought several chisel rolls from Woodcraft a while back. They were a heavy white canvas. Work well.

My recommendations on a chisel roll: The two sided ones roll up better. By having chisels on both sides, the roll is smaller when you roll it up (about half the size).

You place the chisels into the pockets handle first, with the sharp ends out. The reason for this is that if you put them sharp end in, you'll cut the roll. Also, with the sharp ends out you can better see what you need (the width of the chisels).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have one of these from Lee Valley:
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...nd-gouge-rolls

It has a flap that folds over the sharp parts of the chisels. The slots are big enough for the handles (I like the sharp side sticking out) and I like that it's one-sided, so that all the sharp parts of the chisels are in the same area and there's less risk of cutting myself.

67E0102-9-pocket-canvas-roll-f-29.jpg

You could try searching for canvas/leather knife rolls. Boldric makes some nice ones but they are closer to $100+, I used a 9 slot one when I was making food for a living. It went through hell and has held up wonderfully traveling around the country in a back pack getting pulled out two or three times a day. I would double up some of the slots and get 10-11 knives in there. I also used saya's for all of my knives, it would quickly get shredded if the edges are not covered. Theres plenty of mass produced knife bags/rolls on the cheaper side out there if you just want a way to transport without the nicety of leather/canvas. Etsy could be another place to search, a lot of people on there that sell rolls they make last time I was looking about 5 years ago.

Stanley makes a leather chisel roll, although it seems to come with a set of chisels. Acme has it for $169, and it has been kind of taunting me lately.

https://www.stanleytools.com/product...sel-set/16-793