Thread: 2nd Build ... this time a tele

2nd Build ... this time a tele

I made so many mistakes on my first build I need to do another one just to get some self respect back

This will be a tele a'la Jim Root. Poplar body. Lyptus neck. Maple fret board. The body will be painted dead flat black (like a rat rod). The pup config is humbucker and soap bar. Very non traditional. I have never routed a neck pocket (my first build was a neck through), so I am a little nervous about that.

SAM_3519.jpg

SAM_3520.jpg

I'll post pictures as the process progresses.

Oooh...that's going to be nice! I'm looking forward to your build. Honestly, I prefer "non-traditional" and this format really can lend itself to a wide variety of uses, depending on how you set it up.

Just a coincidence, but my next build once the bass is done is another tele-based guitar that is going the matte black route with shiny black hardware for contrast. It will be a "rocker" with tele-sized rail humbucking pickups in both positions. I'm not a "blacked out vehicle" fan, but something is compelling me to go that direction with the next tele for some reason. It will balance the, um....orange....bass...I'm thinking. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Custom neck plate from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies:
    20201216_125141.jpg

My pups are being made as we ... type?
    Bootstrap pickups in Ohio.

This will be a very heavy metal guitar.

That's a really nice neck plate! Philadelphia Luther Supply is top-notch and a local business to me. I had a delivery issue with my most recent order and they jumped right in making calls to the postmaster to track it down without batting an eyelash....which was nice since I often get one or two day delivery from them normally. Good folks. They are my go-to for tuners now since "my" headstock design requires 4x2 and they actually sell pre-configured sets that way with more selection than other places do. They don't do any kind of walk-in or pickup or otherwise I'd make the half hour drive instead of shipping "just because".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good call on the P90. Assuming it will go in the neck position?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Good call on the P90. Assuming it will go in the neck position?
    Yep, neck. Also, it has better resistance matching to the HB than a single would. 500k CTS pots.

Have you picked out a Humbucker yet? If not, consider a Lower output version like a Lollar Low Wind Imperial. The deliver a Humbucker punch but are nice and bright. Just what the doctor ordered on a Tele.

Edit: I see you're having some pickups wound.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.