Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1974 10" Delta Unisaw - Good buy at $300?

1974 10" Delta Unisaw - Good buy at $300?

Hey all,

I've got a line on a 1974 Delta Unisaw. 10", 3hp single phase, right tilt. No fence but does come on a wheeled base. Condition is described as "Light surface rust in spots." Is this a good buy at $300?

Can anyone recommend a fence system so I can get a sense of my full investment if I go this route?

Thanks!

Yes, a good deal. I'd get a Biesmeyer fence.
    Regards,

Tom

If the saw runs well and all adjustments work ,it is a good buy. A fence will run you 300-500 if you go new. You may be able to find one used.

The single phase motor is probably worth that.
    A fence will cost $200-300. You can do a lot of cross cutting without a fence or just with a clamped fence rail for now.
    Bill D

Around here it would be a good deal. I paid close to that for a mostly complete 1986 3 phase Unisaw for parts.

Here's a table saw fence that has intrigued me. It looks like you could use any 8020 extrusions. What they sell appears to be a squared up extrusion.

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...ble-saw-fence/

The fence can be moved fore and aft and has slots to attach jigs or fixtures.

I don't have one, I have a Mule Cab fence on my G1023. I like it, maintains its settings, stout and the slots are handy for jigs. The only downside is that it can't be lifted off the rail, it has to be slid off an end. I have a router table with its own fence on the right side and I've had to lower the blade and slide the Mule fence off the left side of the saw. I have wanted a short fence when ripping boards that may move when ripped. I made a 1" thick subfence that I can slide back to the blade if I want to.
    http://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-16-2020 at 8:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    or just with a clamped fence rail for now.
    Bill D
    That will get old in a hurry, like the first time you do it. A good fence is a big part of what makes a table saw good.

I paid similar for an 1944 3 phase model with fence. After adding $100-$200 for a VFD bearings and some other odds and ends, I still feel like it was a good deal.

It's a tank of a saw and an interesting piece.

If it is compatible with your power I'd say go for it and buy a new fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Here's a table saw fence that has intrigued me. It looks like you could use any 8020 extrusions. What they sell appears to be a squared up extrusion.

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...ble-saw-fence/

The fence can be moved fore and aft and has slots to attach jigs or fixtures.

I don't have one, I have a Mule Cab fence on my G1023. I like it, maintains its settings, stout and the slots are handy for jigs. The only downside is that it can't be lifted off the rail, it has to be slid off an end. I have a router table with its own fence on the right side and I've had to lower the blade and slide the Mule fence off the left side of the saw. I have wanted a short fence when ripping boards that may move when ripped. I made a 1" thick subfence that I can slide back to the blade if I want to.
    http://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html
    I also have the Mule Cabinetmaker fence on my Unisaw and it's been fine. Stays in adjustment. It is a pain taking it off the saw, due to needing to slide it out the ends. I have looked at the VSCT fence as a replacement and it seems to be a very good fence. I like the use of 8020 extrusions as the fence. Can do all kinds of clamping, holding and jigs with that concept.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I just upgraded to a VEGA fence from Rockler to my Jet saw and am very happy with it. Install was easy, its square and has a micro-adjust.

Lots of good options on a fence, I would take a good look at Incra if I needed a new one.

Back to the saw - I would take a real close look at the business end of it before putting down cash. Almost sounds a little to good of a deal.

If the machine is sound, it may very well be a very good deal to build up to a nice to use machine.

There are many fence options. I'm partial to the UniFence with hi/lo and have maintained that style preference when I moved to a sliding saw. I like to run with the fence in the low position most of the time...plenty of clearance for the push block/stick, etc., when using the fence up close.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is this a good buy at $300?
    While you were trying to decide whether it was a good deal, someone who knew it was a good deal beat you too to it .

Fence recs will come in all sorts of flavors round here. You can get the current delta Biesmeyer fence for as little as $200 :
    https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Equipment-Corporation-847962005250-System/dp/B079TTTWR2

Was very impressed with the Vega Pro on my old Unisaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post

https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...ble-saw-fence/[/url]
    Their extrusion is similar to 8020 but is thicker and has milled faces. I use one as a face on my PM2000 Accu fence. Mini is dead straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images