Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 seems to skip a tooth

Trotec Speedy 300 seems to skip a tooth

I have a Trotec Speedy 300 that is a little over 3 years old and is a great machine but over the past month or so I've been having a issue where the laser beam loose its position on the table as it is engraving. It is almost like it is skipping a tooth on the belt as it move down the table (see pic). It only occurs if I run a job that is over 16-20" wide and at a higher speed like when engraving acrylic, if I run at a really slow speed like in stainless steel the problem has not occurred yet. I can run jobs all day long when I keep it under the threshold and never have a problem. I've check the belt very closely and have not been able to find a area that the belt has worn down to cause this issue. Talked to Trotec Tech and they suggested to check and adjust the X Axis belt tension, which I did, no change. They said if that did not work it was the stepper motor, which I find hard to believe since it runs with no issue under that 16" threshold. I was also told that to have someone come and service the machine the cost would be $2000 plus any parts. That is just ridiculous since there is a Trotec office 1 hour away, so I told them no thanks. Has anyone else had this issue or can offer some suggestions I can look at to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.
    laser.jpg

Alden

Did you try cutting the labels? If so, were the cuts ok?

A long shot---unplug the usb from the machine and the pc a plug it back in.

Create a new art file and send it; old one may be corrupted.

There are no stepper motors in the Trotec.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-15-2020 at 6:30 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Looks to me like a similar issue i had with my helix
    the ribbon cable lost a wire but you only noticed it when
    i used the whole table as the broken wire was near the
    right side of the cable and only moved when at that end
    so the job would skip randomly especially when it moved faster
    luckily you just reversed the cable and get another year or 2 out of it.

Regards
    Vic
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

--encoder strip?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

good point, The X Axis White Flex Ribbon Cable
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

do have problems with cuts, most all our job are created from scratch.

Ask Trotec to send new firmware and the JC latest driver.

Even if it's a new file it could be corrupted.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Ask Trotec to send new firmware and the JC latest driver.

Even if it's a new file it could be corrupted.
    I will give that a try once my new computer comes in, Job Control update requires a newer version of Windows than the Win7 I am currently running

Don't forget the firmware.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Have you made sure that there are no apparent issues when doing the full travel of both the x and y axis? The only things that I can think that could cause it are either a firmware error, a dirty disc on the servo motor (the plastic top piece pops off, but this really shouldn't need to be done), too tight or lose of belt, damaged belt, something in the belt track, or user error in the file creation. Assuming there is no user error and the file is good, I agree i would update the firmware first and see how it goes, then check for debris in the track (I had the steel in a belt make a small ball before, from being put in wrong (not by me), if not that then probably clean those discs (I have done it and it went fine, but be careful).

If you need the service manual of a speedy 300 PM me, they really aren't too bad to dismantle if your savvy and have experience with taking things apart. I have fully dismantled both x and y on my machine to replace bearing and throughly clean, if its been awhile it might be due. I have part numbers for most all of the replaceable parts too, if you decide to do maintenance while you're in there.

If it is the motor, below is what I believe is the replacement motor, it would not be difficult to replace on your own if you are handy, but after really looking at the picture, it looks like a firmware/software/file thing to me.

• X Motor: Northrop Grumman (MOOG?) - TROTEC PART 90000/Real Part #BN23-13EN-01LH
    Last edited by Chase Williams; 12-19-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Still not had the chance yet to install my new computer and updated the software and firmware. I will give an update once I have it done, Thanks for all the suggetions

How do I know which Firmware I'm suppose to choose for the updated on the 8011 Speedy300 laser? Looks like two options, one with "BL42" and one without. I've got a call into Trotec but they've not called back
    Last edited by Alden Foy; 12-29-2020 at 9:38 AM.

Without the BL42 because axis motor is silver

Which version of Job Control are you using. I checked and in JC 10.7.1, there is a firmware that is specific to 8011 Speedy 300, 10.36.50.2. I would call Trotec support, as you may cause more trouble for yourself if you don't have a firmware file to match your equipment. That said Trotec Support has been great for me, I worked with Cristian and had top-notch support. I will say they didn't answer their phone but I left a message with my information and had a call back within an hour. I think you can email them at support@troteclaser.com too.