Thread: MDF vs Plywood here?

MDF vs Plywood here?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I am trying to decide here. I plan to copy these plans for the most part and make this for my daughter for Christmas. I feel like I have read previously about not using MDF is a lot of situations. Link is below and I'm working on determining how I will do it. https://www.buildsomething.com/plans...ress-Up-Closet

Blog Entries
    Plywood for me... I don't use MDF.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

MDF might be flatter than ply, unless you go with birch or other cabinet ply. But I would think the Kreg screws would hold better in the ply.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Plywood for me... I don't use MDF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    MDF might be flatter than ply, unless you go with birch or other cabinet ply. But I would think the Kreg screws would hold better in the ply.

Seems like that will end up being the road I go down. Just looking for the best available option around me at this point. I'm sure by the time I decide plywood will jump in price again too.

Blog Entries
    Mdf gives you a paint ready surface without much work, but doesn't hold screws very well. Plywood, depending upon the grade isn't as ready for painting, but does hold screws better and is a little more durable than mdf. If I were building that, I would probably make the doors frame and panel with poplar as the frame and 1/4" plywood as the panel. Make the sides and from plywood. If more than one child will eventually use it, spend a bit more on materials to last through multiple children. Consider donating it to a church or day care when your child(ren) out grow it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

As others have said, MDF is not good about holding screws. In this case, if the cabinet is to be free standing, as shown in the picture, I definitely would go with plywood, as a free standing cabinet will be subject to lateral forces which strain the joints.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher