Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw upgrade

Bandsaw upgrade

I am looking hard at a new Laguna 14 l 12. Right now I have a Delta 28-243S. It's a made in the usa 1980s 14 inch saw. I put a 1 hp baldor motor on it. It's in very good condition. I am wondering what these are selling for on CL right now? Could I get $600 - $700 for it?

Since folks can buy an equivalent 14" saw for that kind of money brand new from some sources, I'd be doubtful you can get that much for your old Deta.

I will also suggest you consider if going to another 14" saw is really an upgrade in capability. Personally, I'd be shooting for something larger to enhance what you can use the tool for. But that's me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Since folks can buy an equivalent 14" saw for that kind of money brand new from some sources, I'd be doubtful you can get that much for your old Deta.
    Yea, that's kinda what I thought. It's either a new saw or a riser block.....

if you want to stay in a 14" saw (I know people always say go bigger, but there is a reason for 14" saws, some people don't need bigger), see if you can stretch a bit to the 14bx. It's just a heavier machine. i was set on the 14|12 and once I saw them side by side at a woodcraft store, I purchased the 14bx. But if the 14|12 is a good fit, go for it.

Justin,

When you were shopping, were any other brands in consideration (Griz, Rikon, PM...)?

I have the Grizzly 17” G0513X2. It is a well made saw and I have not had any issues with. Good bang for your buck.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

IMO, I'd go riser block. I've used a lot of bandsaws in my day and nothing beats that Delta. I few are equal, but none beat it.

A steel framed saw will run circles around the old cast iron Delta. I have one with a riser block and 1.5 HP motor. It's a fine little saw, but you can't put much tension on it so it's never going to compete with a steel framed saw. To get specific, about 12ksi is all the Delta can muster on a 1/2" blade. Modern steel framed saws will let you put 2X that on the same blade and some 14" ones will do it on a 3/4" blade. 20ksi on a blade will make it cut so much better and faster.

You should be able to get around $400 for the Delta if you want to sell it. But I wouldn't. I'd keep it and put a 1/4" blade on it and buy a 16 or 17" saw with at least 3 HP. Two saws gives you the best of both worlds IMO.

John

I have steel framed rikons I'd give away if I could.

What task has your Delta flubbed?

A fresh blade and drive belt can work wonders.

FWW contributor Michael Fortune does most of his daily work on similar saw (tuned perfectly, natch).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    What task has your Delta flubbed?
    Nothing. The resaw capacity is too limiting. If I want to resaw bookend veneer / tops for guitars, I figure I need about 8" of capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    Nothing. The resaw capacity is too limiting. If I want to resaw bookend veneer / tops for guitars, I figure I need about 8" of capacity.
    Then the riser kit will do what you need if your needs are modest. I sawed a lot of 10"+ veneer with my Delta and it did OK with a 1/2" x 3 tpi blade if it was set up really well. It's slow, but it works. It's pitiful compared to the speed of my 5 hp bandsaw with a 1" carbide blade but I managed just fine for many years.

John

With a 24" saw now too, I wish I had time to take the riser block off of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A steel framed saw will run circles around the old cast iron Delta.
    John
    John, this caught my eye. I had a 20" (metric) 1980s Italian made bandsaw, really heavy steel, cast iron wheels, but it needed work. And a 20" Davis & Wells, which needed more work.
    I opted to keep the D&W, it's a fine saw now, but I wonder about the Italian saw.
    At that size do you still say the steel saws have the edge on cast iron framed saws?

thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Then the riser kit will do what you need if your needs are modest.
    Best place to source a riser kit for an old delta? On ebay they're going for 250+. Wondering if there's a more cost friendly source.