Thread: Double sided tape for turning

Double sided tape for turning

Is there a consensus among turners as to what brand of tape works the best for lathe turning? Some I’ve used is really gummy, some is really thick and some sticks so well it is hard to separate. Somebodies have surely determined products that work better than others.

I have bought several different brands over the last several years and have found that the one from CraftSupply does the work best for me. I tried Rocklers tape and it has a vinyl backing. Impossible to remove. People tell me to use an exacto knife or something similar, but no dice. My wife owns a vinly business, so she is used to having to remove backing on products, but even she could not get that tape backing off. My suggestion, and that's just my opinion, is to get one that is thin, has a paper backing, and is made of cloth. They are the thinnest I have found and work well. You do need to add pressure while joining to get a good hold. I usually clamp my pieces for around 10-15 minutes before turning. Not much help here, but I hope you find some of this useful.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

This is my favorite https://www.grainger.com/product/POL...searchBar=true
    Good to find an American made product

I use Spectape 555H136 Double-Faced. Holds great yet comes off pretty easily. Don't need a lot though. Use too much and you'll have a bugger of a time getting it off. Also, I use Spectape ST501 for flatwork templates (not for turning) because it is thin and holds great but not so much so that you cannot separate.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 12-15-2020 at 3:19 PM.

Try tape for golf grips . Used it for years never failed me. and i have found it to be less expensive

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    Try tape for golf grips . Used it for years never failed me. and i have found it to be less expensive
    I will second this. Every time i regrip clubs i buy a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I use Spectape 555H136 Double-Faced. Holds great yet comes off pretty easily. Don't need a lot though. Use too much and you'll have a bugger of a time getting it off. Also, I use Spectape ST501 for flatwork templates (not for turning) because it is thin and holds great but not so much so that you cannot separate.
    I agree with Tom on this Spectape. Used it for years. This is the one the sell at Woodcraft and you can find it on Amazon a few bucks cheaper. https://amzn.to/3rDywCj
    God is great and life is good!

I have been meaning to ask about this. How do you use double sided table to turn. how is it applied? Do you always use tail stock support? It seems scary to me. Thanks

You should always use the tail stock when you can, regardless of mounting method. But, yes you can turn with just the tape. It's best when applying the tape to put pressure on it either with the tail stock or in a vise for 5 to 10 minutes before use. Once you do that, it'll hold amazingly well. One time I was turning a round picture frame and had it mounted with 4 strips of tape, 3 to 4 inches long to a backing board. Well it took me over an hour to get that frame off without breaking it ~3/4" thick. That tape really holds. I learned then not to use too much tape. As to how and when to use, there are many situations where it works, like this frame, which was basically a 14" circle about 2" wide where I cut the center out. I had to mount it twice. Once to cute a rabbet in the back to hold a decorative plate, and then again to add an ogee-like shape to the front of it. I've used the tape several times when working on really thin pieces, like lids and finial caps. I only go that route if there is no equally safe and convenient way to do it. The tape is way stronger than a vacuum chuck; so there is that.

Of course, I wouldn't use it and get aggressive with the cutting. Common sense prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    I have been meaning to ask about this. How do you use double sided table to turn. how is it applied? Do you always use tail stock support? It seems scary to me. Thanks
    I used the good turner's tape a few days ago to hold and turn a circular frame for embroidery in a hoop. I flattened plywood and put one layer of the tape all around the edge (about 1.5" in, the width of the frame), then pressed the flat back of the frame on and used about 8 clamps all the way around and left pressure on it for about 30 minutes - probably longer than needed. Held beautifully. It does take some effort to get apart, gentle wedging and patience always works = the tape releases very slowly.

A friend used it to hold large bowl blanks to a face plate. He flattened the bottom of the blank and put one layer of tape on the blank. He put another layer on the face plate. Pressed them together and clamped with the tailstock. He would turn 18" and larger bowls from unbalanced chunks of wood with no problem. Instead of the slow wedge to release, he injected acetone between the layers of tape with a syringe.

For larger diameter or length pieces I use the tailstock, always, for as long as possible, regardless of the holding method.

BTW, we sometimes use the same tape to hold metal parts for machining. The same slow release with wedges always works.

JKJ

David -- The handsome and talented Mike Peace has a video on YouTube on using double sided tape as a chucking method. The video is less than 6 minutes long, so he does not cover everything under the sun. But, he'll get you started. He shows two methods, using a glue block (attached to a wooden faceplate) and using a faceplate. Note: There are other methods that might accomplish the same thing for you. For example, I have a lot of double sided tape. I hardly every use it. Generally, I prefer to use hot melt glue instead. With hot melt glue, the two surfaces being joined don't need to be quite as perfectly flat as with double sided tape. While some find hot melt glue to leave behind a stick mess, rubbing alcohol breaks the bond almost on contact. Given that, I find it cleans up fairly easily.

Here's a link to Mike's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxC45jhDbc

You'll notice that, with his native modesty, Mike neglected to provide a link himself.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    David -- The handsome and talented Mike Peace has a video on YouTube on using double sided tape as a chucking method. The video is less than 6 minutes long, so he does not cover everything under the sun. But, he'll get you started. He shows two methods, using a glue block (attached to a wooden faceplate) and using a faceplate. Note: There are other methods that might accomplish the same thing for you. For example, I have a lot of double sided tape. I hardly every use it. Generally, I prefer to use hot melt glue instead. With hot melt glue, the two surfaces being joined don't need to be quite as perfectly flat as with double sided tape. While some find hot melt glue to leave behind a stick mess, rubbing alcohol breaks the bond almost on contact. Given that, I find it cleans up fairly easily.

Here's a link to Mike's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxC45jhDbc

You'll notice that, with his native modesty, Mike neglected to provide a link himself.

HTH
    Thanks for the shout out David.
    God is great and life is good!

I did not see mentioned that you do not need to have a full circle of tape. Leaving gaps and providing groove to insert a tool to help break the joint really helps separating the piece held from the holding block. Some slots to allow a wedge or pry tool also are helpful. Biggest help is to get the tape out to larger diameter for holding rather that a large solid area in smaller diameter to resist both torque and cutting forces at outer diameter of piece that can be helped by the use of live center. I have used the Duck frand carpet tape for both turning and holding for routing and other uses with success. Biggest thing is to take it easy and work safe.
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 01-02-2021 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Added use of Duck tape.

Thank you - I watched the video. I had bought some tape from craft supply- I will see if I work up the nerve to use it. I guess though it probably does not work well with spindles but better with things that are wide in comparison to the height.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    I agree with Tom on this Spectape. Used it for years. This is the one the sell at Woodcraft and you can find it on Amazon a few bucks cheaper. https://amzn.to/3rDywCj
    I agree with this too. Now if I want super holding power I use outdoor carpet tape sold in Home Depot. It has nylon reinforcement through it and is tough to get off.
    John T.