Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 6" Benctop Jointer JJ-6HHBT (718600)

Jet 6" Benctop Jointer JJ-6HHBT (718600)

New Jet jointer has been shipping since September according to tech support. Haven't found one review or any commentary on this product. Just the Jet website and user manual.

Interesting machine:
    - Outfeed table isn't an isolated slab; rather it's integral to the entire top "Body with Outfeed Table". Don't think I've seen a jointer like this previously
    - Manual says "The outfeed table is set to be level with the knives at the highest point in their revolution. The infeed and outfeed tables are preset at the factory to be aligned with the cutterhead."
    - 14 helical cutterheads with slight angle (not spiral with straignt-on knife faces like Wahuda or Rikon) looks nice, like a higher-end floor stander
    - Integral dust collection - there's a plastic shroud underneath the cutterhead, appears to be pretty well sealed. No blower motor like their floor standing cousins
    - Cast iron tables and fence, kinda small but usable (28 5/8" table, 22 3/4 x 4 3/8" fence)

What I'm curious about:
    - Is there any way to adjust the tables if needed?? Appears the outfeed is not adjustable at all, unless you somehow adjusted the entire upper body of the machine. The infeed table has a few socket set screws under it but it's unclear if they provide adjustments or are just assembly pieces
    - Seems the cutterheads on this thing are significantly upgraded vs. Wahuda/Rikon. Is that really the case, how well does it cut?

So many questions... a basic review would be very helpful.

User Manual with exploded parts list: https://content.jettools.com/assets/...600_man_EN.pdf

What's the appeal of this? Are you restricted so much for shop space that benchtop is your only option? If so here is another option.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...tterhead/g0893

Sears/Craftsman sold a jointer with a fixed outfeed table at one time years ago. It was not popular. I adjust my outfeed table every time I change blades. I have straight knives in a Jet JJP-12 jointer planer. A rule of thumb is that you can practically joint material 1.5X to 2X the length of the tables, I find 1.5X more comfortable. Is that long enough for you? I have used freestanding supports in a pinch but that's not optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    What's the appeal of this? Are you restricted so much for shop space that benchtop is your only option? If so here is another option.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...tterhead/g0893
    I'm looking for a benchtop jointer for typical reasons... space being #1. I've reviewed every benchtop jointer out there - including Grizzly, Wahuda, Porter Cable / Craftsman, et al. The Jet jointer is unique as noted earlier - it's the only one with a true helical cutter. It's the only one I've seen with a fixed outfeed table (meaning the entire top assy is one piece as noted in the initial post). It's different than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Sears/Craftsman sold a jointer with a fixed outfeed table at one time years ago. It was not popular. I adjust my outfeed table every time I change blades. I have straight knives in a Jet JJP-12 jointer planer. A rule of thumb is that you can practically joint material 1.5X to 2X the length of the tables, I find 1.5X more comfortable. Is that long enough for you? I have used freestanding supports in a pinch but that's not optimum.
    I'd like a longer jointer of course, and am considering the Jet 6" helical model. Fitting it in my space is my biggest issue. Cost is a second, slightly less important reason. I'm sure if I buy the benchtop I'll eventually lament not having the longer bed. Main reason for posting this is the hope that someone, anyone, has actually purchased one of these units so I can get some feedback prior to making a final decision. Normally I wouldn't bother, but this unit is unique enough in the benchtop jointer space that I thought it was worth checking in with the experts.

Looked at the manual , infeed side goes up/down like any other jointer out there . It's not " fixed " , its level w/ the cutterhead when you get it . That's what I see .

Quote Originally Posted by James Kirkpatrick View Post
    I'm looking for a benchtop jointer for typical reasons... space being #1. I've reviewed every benchtop jointer out there - including Grizzly, Wahuda, Porter Cable / Craftsman, et al. The Jet jointer is unique as noted earlier - it's the only one with a true helical cutter. It's the only one I've seen with a fixed outfeed table (meaning the entire top assy is one piece as noted in the initial post). It's different than the others.
    I had one of the Craftsman jointers referenced by someone else. It wasn't a benefit in my opinion. Setting the knives to match the outfeed table took some time. I wouldn't go back to it certainly. I realize with inserts that might not be a problem. As info the Grizzly version is also helical. Your shop and your money so I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Looked at the manual , infeed side goes up/down like any other jointer out there . It's not " fixed " , its level w/ the cutterhead when you get it . That's what I see .
    Right. It's the outfeed table that is fixed and not adjustable, as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I had one of the Craftsman jointers referenced by someone else. It wasn't a benefit in my opinion. Setting the knives to match the outfeed table took some time. I wouldn't go back to it certainly. I realize with inserts that might not be a problem. As info the Grizzly version is also helical. Your shop and your money so I wish you luck.
    Thanks RB, took another look at the Grizzly and it's helical cutter head is similar as you noted. Also discovered that it's just like the Jet - the outfeed table is not adjustable for parallelism, it's factory set to be parallel to the cutter heads and that's it. It has a similar one-piece upper body design as the Jet. It's also quite a bit cheaper.

The Grizzly has 3 rows w/ 18 cutter heads compared to 2 rows w/ 14 cutters on the Jet. Grizzly spins slower at 8,000 RPM vs. 10,000 for the Jet which makes sense given the number of rows for each.

Right. It's the outfeed table that is fixed and not adjustable, as noted.
    The difference here is the cutterhead. I've never used one but can see where it might not be necessary to adjust the outfeed table because the cutters are in a fixed position, not variable like straight knives.

I'd buy a 6" Grizzly full size floor standing model . With straight knives it is less $ than that little Jet . Secondly , longer beds will serve you better and longer before the next upgrade . Last , it will return more of it's purchase price when you sell it . I think at the entry level stage , straight knives will do . Get the helical cutter head on the next jointer , 8" or larger .

Grizzly spins slower at 8,000 RPM vs. 10,000 for the Jet which makes sense given the number of rows for each.
    The Griz also has a 1.5 hp motor (Jet is 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    The Griz also has a 1.5 hp motor (Jet is 1).
    Also, the Grizzly is all aluminum (tables and fence) while the Jet is all cast iron (tables and fence). Guessing that accounts for much of the price difference. For a bench top jointer, is cast iron necessary? I guess since it’s a small unit the cast iron would help it feel more hefty amd stable.

Also, the Grizzly is all aluminum (tables and fence) while the Jet is all cast iron (tables and fence). Guessing that accounts for much of the price difference. For a bench top jointer, is cast iron necessary? I guess since it’s a small unit the cast iron would help it feel more hefty amd stable.
    Often cast iron is lauded for being stable and vibration damping. It's also heavy which may not be an attribute for a machine you'd want to move somewhat frequently. Grizzly is 56 lbs. shipping weight, Jet is 76 lbs. Don't know if that matters.