Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Blade Breaking Loose

1. Table Saw Blade Breaking Loose

I have been working with a Dewalt 7491RS for over a year now and I started having a problem with the arbor nut breaking loose. It has happened once with a dado blade (without clamp washer) and once with a regular Freud blade (with clamp washer). Every time before I turn on the saw I check and make sure the blade is tightened down, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. If anyone has a remedy, I'm open for suggestions.

I can say this it is quiet terrifying to turn off your your table saw and see the blade still turning at 3400+ RPMs then start to wobble like it is going to jump out. I figured letting the blade slow down by itself is the best bet rather than try to stop it with a piece of scrap.

The arbor should have a left hand thread, so, if anything, it should get slightly tighter from the centrifugal force. Does this saw have a brake? If so, the braking action can cause the arbor nut to loosen if it wasn't tightened enough. Scary situation.

I had roughly the same situation occur with an angle grinder. It got loose after shutting down, every time. I threw away the grinder. Have you tried throwing away the saw?

Seriously though, try replacing the arbor nut and hope that fixes it. You can also try roughing up the threads with a wire brush. If it keeps happening, it's a mechanical problem with the arbor nut not holding because the threads on the arbor are slightly mismatched. I would definitely contact dewalt. This is a potential manufacturing problem for which they'd be liable and my guess is they'll bend over backwards to fix it.

If nothing else, put a lock washer on it, but don't keep using it with a freewheeling barely attached blade.
    Last edited by jamil mehdi; 12-14-2020 at 6:29 PM.

Does your blade have that crazy Teflon coating? Freud puts it on their consumer blades. It allows the arbor nut to slip against the blade, and bad things happen. A fix is to sand the coating off the blade where the arbor nut is trying to snug up against the blade.

I am going to try scuffing up the blade, arbor nut, and clean up the spindle assembly. This is the current situation: http://imgur.com/a/aymktx2

Do you have an arbor washer? You're not mentioning it. This is a cupped washer which goes between the nut and the blade. If you don't have it, you may well be tightening the nut on the threads rather than putting pressure on the blade.

Yep, I forgot to add that into the pics. When using the dado there isn't enough room to add the washer.

If your arbor bearings have failed, the increased friction can cause this.

Does that saw happen to have a brake that automatically stops the saw quickly when you shut the saw off?

If that brake is set too aggressively, the momentum of the rotating blade will unscrew the nut, and both nut and blade can hop off the end of the spindle.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

DeWalt have a special nut to use with a dado blade doesn't come as standard.

I had a similar problem with an open frame motor on a Unisaw. The centrifugal switch got sticky and created enough vibration when dropping out of the circuit that the arbor nut loosened up. I wound up replacing the arbor as well as the motor. Not fun.

Those are clearly right hand threads. It should want tighten as you use it. Unless something is causing it to decelerate quickly it shouldn't be coming loose. Is everything smooth when it's running? No unusual sounds or vibration? It should take a few seconds to spin down unless something else is going on. Is there any chance the nut is wearing out and slipping on the arbor? Is the nut brass? You might explore procuring a new nut. That looks like Acme thread which is pretty much the standard for a saw arbor. Just my 2 cents. That and 2 bucks will get you a gas station cup of coffee.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Edward Hanley View Post
    I am going to try scuffing up the blade, arbor nut, and clean up the spindle assembly. This is the current situation: http://imgur.com/a/aymktx2
    Hey Michael -- did you have any luck with scuffing up the blade? I am running into same issue as you. Almost new 7491 (5 months), and I have a Freud Diablo blade in it. Yesterday, for the first time ever, the blade "self-loosened". Fortunately, the nut was *barely* loose, but this is ridiculous, right?!

I hope to get in touch with DeWalt support and discuss warranty, but want to have as much info as possible before I talk to them. I've heard at least a half a dozen stories from others about this occurring either rarely or often with the 7491 (and barely any stories of it happening with other saws).

Thanks,
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Your arbor has an acme thread, but your nut appears to be a standard thread. Is the arbor nut the one that came from the factory? Did you purchase this saw new or used? Looking at your arbor, you should always use the cupped blade washer (called a clamp washer for your saw) that came with the saw. The nut will bottom out on the threads before it tightens the blade without the blade washer. You should always use a wrench to tighten the nut. I hold the blade between my fingers and tighten the nut until my fingers just start to slip on the blade.

Here is what your arbor nut should look like. Note the flat areas on the threads inside the nut. Also not the shoulder area on one side of the nut. That side should always be against the blade.
    20220801_224738.jpg20220801_224810.jpg
    Here is the cupped washer that should be used in combination with the arbor nut for all single thickness blades.
    20220801_224748.jpg
    I run Freud blades, including the ones with the coatings, on my Craftsman saw and never ever has a blade or dado set loosened in the 30 years I have owned this saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-01-2022 at 11:07 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I run Freud blades, including the ones with the coatings, on my Craftsman saw and never ever has a blade or dado set loosened in the 30 years I have owned this saw.
    Same. Though for only about half as long as Lee.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

15. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

Here is what your arbor nut should look like.
    Hi Lee -- thanks for replying -- for some reason I don't have permission to view those jpegs, although my account was "activated" yesterday. I get an error. Thanks!