I have watched and admired Philip Morley for awhile as he seems to be truly dedicated to his craft and has earned his way through a 7 year apprenticeship. Here is his website; https://philipmorleyfurniture.com/

He designed this mortising jig to be easy to set up and use. I downloaded the plans from his website a long while back and I was impressed with his attention to detail and it was obvious that he put a lot of thought into his design. What I really liked the most was that his design positions the mortise slot using center line marks and pre-made shim blocks. This gives me repeatable accuracy time after time which I really wanted. It is very adaptable to different stock and mortise sizes and it was pretty easy to construct.

I took great care to cut my dado slots very accurately along with the corresponding slides to try and achieve tight tolerances as this is what really drives the accuracy of the mortise slot. After I got a snug fit to the slides, I waxed them with a bit of paraffin for smooth action. All of the other pieces are just basic cut and fit parts. I had a bit of an issue with finding an adapter plate for my old Ryobi router that would accept a guide bushing as required for his design. I finally got that resolved with a lexan adapter plate that fit, and I was in business. I have made mortises all morning and they have all been dead on accurate so far. I am having an issue with chip extraction as the chips get packed under the adapter plate quickly as there is no easy way for them to escape from under the plate. I'll have to work on that issue, but so far, everything else has been really smooth.

I have pre-cut my tenon stock and planed it to the right thickness so that whenever I need it I just cut off a short section and use that for my floating tenon.

Hope this review helps someone!
Bud
IMG_3400.JPGIMG_3401.JPGIMG_3402.JPGIMG_3398.JPG