Thread: Urn-sized Redwood Burl Blank?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Urn-sized Redwood Burl Blank?

I have a commission to make a 200-cubic-inch urn for a customer, but I'll be darned if I can find a source for something that size. There's a Facebook source (Burl & Wood Blanks Auctions) but I'll be darned if they'll return my calls or answer my messages.

The optimum size would be 8" x 8" x 12" but an equivalent volume could work. Any ideas?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russell, I have turned several large urns as big or bigger than what you specify. Most were done in two pieces and it works quite well and is actually very similar to what David Marks does. If you take a look at my website under urns you can view some of them.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    [QUOTE=John Keeton: Most were done in two pieces and it works quite well.....[/QUOTE]

Yes, and my customer says that's an acceptable option. (I'd probably add a contrasting wood band between the two pieces, BTW) Even so, it's tough to find even six-inch thick pieces.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russel - a couple years ago we headed to California driving down the coast. From Crescent City to Arcata on 101 and south on the Avenue of the Giants - 124 - there are plenty of places selling redwood burl slabs and turning stock. Unfortunately, can’t locate the card of the place where I bought some turning timber near Orick, but a google search of the area shows a number of places that would either have what you need or know who to call. I found the people generally helpful and willing to share information - all except a guy selling marginal turned pieces through a shop on the Avenue of the Giants (seemed to think he was selling eggs from the golden goose.
    Over the past several years there have been numerous stories of meth heads raiding forests and stealing old growth root burl leaving damage (and dead/dieing trees) in their path. Best to deal with established businesses. Be prepared - a chunk of redwood burl the size you’re looking for is pricey.
    Good luck.