Thread: power requirements for Jet 1640

power requirements for Jet 1640

Just moved up from a midi lathe to the Jet 1640, which is now assembled and sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, when I try to run it, it immediately trips the GFCI outlets that supply power. I have 20 AMP service so I know I'm not exceeding the capacity of the circuits. After scrutinizing the manual I found a statement that the lathe will not run on circuits protected by GFCI. I'm not enough of an electrician to know why this might be the case but I suspect it has something to do with the built in inverter that transforms the incoming 1 phase to 3 phase power to run the motor. Anybody know if that is the case? And am I correct in assuming that if I just switch out the GCFI outlets for regular ones I'll be OK? (Technically this would be a code violation in my area as GFCI outlets are required in garages, but I'm willing to do that if necessary - in fact that would seem to be the only option short of returning the lathe!)

I got a 1640 earlier this year and had to do the same. Had an old non-GFCI in the house extra and switched them out. Left the GFCI outlet sitting on top of the box so I can find it if I need to switch back in the future. Works like a charm after the swap.

Ever since the first 1640 came out, plugging it into a 110v GFIC has been an issue. The VFD and the GFCI don't play well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bell View Post
    Just moved up from a midi lathe to the Jet 1640, which is now assembled and sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, when I try to run it, it immediately trips the GFCI outlets that supply power. I have 20 AMP service so I know I'm not exceeding the capacity of the circuits. After scrutinizing the manual I found a statement that the lathe will not run on circuits protected by GFCI. I'm not enough of an electrician to know why this might be the case but I suspect it has something to do with the built in inverter that transforms the incoming 1 phase to 3 phase power to run the motor. Anybody know if that is the case? And am I correct in assuming that if I just switch out the GCFI outlets for regular ones I'll be OK? (Technically this would be a code violation in my area as GFCI outlets are required in garages, but I'm willing to do that if necessary - in fact that would seem to be the only option short of returning the lathe!)
    The Jet 1642 lathes do the same thing. (I think they use the same VFD as the 1640.)

I found that out when moving one in while building my shop. I simply removed the GFCI. I don't know about the codes but I think I read once there were some exceptions for circuits dedicated to a machine. Might ask an electrician if that's important to you.

JKJ

There are two potential "culprits": (1) the inverter which may put out noise that the GFCI doesn't like and (2) the line filtering on the input to the GFCI. The line filtering has some capacitors across the input line for the purpose of making the "noise" being injected into the line (and perhaps interfering with radios, etc.) reduced. But to the GFCI it appears as "leakage" to ground. There is one cap that goes from line to neutral and one that goes from line to ground. The one that goes from line to ground probably makes the GFCI trip.

The only sure-fire way of correcting this would be to remove the GFCI with a non-GFCI. At some future point in time when you move, just replace the GFCI.

I had to do that in my garage because I had a freezer and an outdoor fountain pump on the same circuit. I suspect that the submerged fountain pump may have had a little leakage. So I removed the GFCI and then added an isolation transformer to the fountain pump. That eliminated the chance of a shock should I put my feet into the fountain. ha ha.

this is something these manf's need to look at now that every new house to the new codes have arc fault ,gfi panels so every circuit is arc fault and gfi protected at the panel not in a recipticle. Note this as best as I know is just 120 volt 240 stuff is not involved.

Do you have a garage door opener? If you have the power for it in the ceiling, it may not be a GFCI. Not sure of the codes in your area, but if the outlet can't get wetted/splashed, it's not required. Check the amp rating on the breaker if you have it. A friend of mine has his Jet plugged in the ceiling. It's actually pretty nice to have the cord not in the way on the floor.......

VFD's and GFCI's do not play well together. The two sure fire fixes: remove the GFCI, which may not be code-compliant, or install an isolation transformer. This is not unique to Jet at all. Any lathe with a VFD will have the same issues. I had an electrician friend tell me that some more expensive GFCI's might work, but I don't have any model info to share.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"