Thread: New Shop for me, but need some help

Smile New Shop for me, but need some help

Good morning folks,

I recently relocated from northern to mid-Michigan and along the way, I purchased a home with an awesome attached shop. This is a huge step up for me from my basement shop that I worked out of for the past 20 years. The new shop already has a cyclone dust collector installed, along with an Ecogate system. Everything is operational and I can get the AC/DC Volt sensors to work on my equipment by placing the sensor in-line at the motor, but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. I imagine the optimal place for the sensor to tap voltage is off the switch, but I could use some help with that. Would someone that has already gone down this road be willing to snap some pictures or share diagrams for how they hooked up their Sawstop and either a Grizzly jointer, Grizzly bandsaw, and/or Powermatic planer to the Ecogate AC/DC voltage sensor? I would be very grateful.

Yes, I can and will hire an electrician if I have to, but I prefer learning new things and doing things hands-on. I worked several summers with an electrician, so I know how much fun getting poked can be (not!) and not to grab the black and white wires at the same time. I'm hoping I can tap into the collective wisdom of the Creek to help me get this shop operational by the first of the year. I promise pics once the mess is put into some semblance of order

Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas to you. I think you win Christmas this year. I will be watching for your pictures and the responses. I have been paralyzed about making final decisions on permanent ductwork and gates on my new shop.

Petosky MI. is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been , really . I'm from Flint , and hope you found a nice spot in mid-Michigan . Now if you just moved to Petosky , and call it mid- Michigan , you must be a Uper . Great to hear about the new shop , congratulations ,

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cartwright View Post
    Good morning folks,

AC/DC Volt sensors to work on my equipment by placing the sensor in-line at the motor, but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. I imagine the optimal place for the sensor to tap voltage is off the switch, but I could use some help with that. Would someone that has already gone down this road be willing to snap some pictures or share diagrams for how they hooked up their Sawstop and either a Grizzly jointer, Grizzly bandsaw, and/or Powermatic planer to the Ecogate AC/DC voltage sensor? "

Looking at the website the ac/dc voltage sensors work by wiring them parallel with the load side (motor side)of contactor.
    so figure out where the wires going to the motor hook up to the motor starter, overloads, switch etc and land them there. very simple to do as you are wiring to the same exact spot the motor cord does. Post pictures of what you have if you still have questions.
    good luck
    ron
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-13-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Petosky MI. is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been , really . I'm from Flint , and hope you found a nice spot in mid-Michigan . Now if you just moved to Petosky , and call it mid- Michigan , you must be a Uper . Great to hear about the new shop , congratulations ,
    Yes, Petoskey was an awesome place to raise the kids. We've moved to the Lansing area now, as a job opportunity arose for both my wife and I, plus it gets us within an hour's drive of the parents and our kids. I realize after reading your message that I'd forgotten to update my location in my profile. Sorry about the confusion.

Used to ski at Boyne Mt when skis were long and skinny!
    I have the Ecogate system and I use sensors that "stick" on the motor and function as a motion sensor. Have worked perfectly for 15+ years. Manual shows toroidal sensors that the power cord runs thru if the motion sensors don't work but never needed them. The wire from the sensor plugs in a terminal in the gate housing and the low voltage wire runs from the gate back the the Green Box. My SS, Griz BS, Jointer, and planer are all on line and all other DC hook-ups are manual. Would love to get more gates but am too cheap. Is Santa listening??? If you need a copy of the manual let me know.
    Happy Holidays to you as well.

I have skied at Boyne Mt. , Boyne Highlands and Nub's Nob . Just beautiful country .

Just a quick update. I appear to have been overthinking the whole sensor wiring situation, probably because I've not this before so I assumed it would be more difficult than it was. Once I studied the Ecogate documents and the switch diagrams on each of the machines, I found it was very easy to tap the contactors to get the current needed to activate the sensor. In fact, the switches for the Powermatic and the Grizzly equipment look quite similar, if not identical. The good news is I have all of the gates running. The bad news is I need a couple more gates and to run some more ductwork. Tough problem to have, I know :-) Here is one of the finished stations that I got operational this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great to see .

Yeah you definitely won Christmas this year.

Nice looking shop happy new year

So, you bought a shop and a house just happened to come with it? Congratulations.