Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop safety changes you have made in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    Purchase of a Dylos particle meter has had a bigger impact on my shop habits and workflows than anything else I’ve done in a long time. Amazing how quickly the small particle counts jump with such seemingly innocuous activities as “just a little bit of sanding” or even sweeping with a push broom..... It has helped me test and modify my dust extraction setups and it’s been quite gratifying to realize how effective the right equipment/setup can be. On the other hand, a little disconcerting to think about all the years of exposure before I starting being concerned about this aspect of woodworking :<(
    Having a Dylos meter and good respirator totally changed how I worked in the shop a few years ago. I look at what the ambient particle count is in my home (around 500), and if my shop is higher, I wear a 3M respirator and turn on the Jet air cleaners until it gets down to ambient.

It's amazing how well the Jets work. I can get particle counts down to single digits, which is probably clean room levels. Will I notice a difference in my health? Not immediately, but you so easily prevent long term damage to your lungs and heart.

Shop safety has always been top of my list. It came easy to me being an anesthesiologist. Like pilots, safety is drilled into us from day one of our training, and is a huge part of our daily routines. For example, wearing a mask all day is a typical work day for me. No big deal. No complaining, no arguments, no whining. It's how you work.

I was an instant convert to getting a SawStop when I first saw that YouTube video. I've seen too many patients with missing digits, and spent too many long nights helping surgeons try to put back some.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    Downloaded free National Institute for Occupational Safety (NIOSH) sound level meter app onto my smart phone to measure decibel levels in my shop.
    Thanks for that reminder...I actually forgot I have that application, and I need to start using it more often.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am the weak link in the chain. I do not work late into the PM or evening. I am morning energy and as the day progresses I start to miss her, so, time to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I have switched from N95 masks when router jig dovetailing to pulling my shirt up over my face when working in the dust. Two reasons, first I can't find N95's or anything else, second I've learned that cloth has magical abilities to stop particles much smaller than it's weave without obstructing breathing as much so it's more comfortable and convenient.

Go back to the N95. It says right on the package that it works for dust, but not chemicals, fumes or that really small stuff.....
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Go back to the N95. It says right on the package that it works for dust, but not chemicals, fumes or that really small stuff.....
    I think that's lost on 99% of its users today.

This thread has inspired me into action. I cleaned up the shop this weekend, getting a bunch of trip hazards out of the way for good by adding/improving some storage. I (finally) hung the air filter and then made some fairly minor machinery layout changes that make it way easier (and more likely) to use the dust collector more often. I wrapped up the day by making Santa's life easier by ordering a particulate meter, a 3m half-mask, and a bunch of hearing protection to scatter around the shop. Thanks for the kick in the rear!

I rip rough lumber more on the bandsaw, then joint. It's an extra step, but really like the results and workflow. It also puts me using the bandsaw more often so helps me justify a bandsaw upgrade!

I'm going to get some 3M muffs with Bluetooth for hearing protection, that will help during some WW tasks as well as with the leaf blower in the yard.

As for N95, I wear it when working with MDF or other dusty jobs and its great for pollen, but don't depend on it for much else.

I just installed a shark guard with the riving knife on my 2000 Grizzly G1023. Of course this decision was made after it tried to throw a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2 ft. square back at me - the edge split the top of my left index finger at the knuckle - no stitches. The riving knife would have helped, but I also think the fence was not set with toe out (actually toed in) which I found when I lined up the blade and the riving knife. Still, this is a much better guard system than the overhead guard I made out of aluminum. Dust collection is much better.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

All good food for thought. Which Dylos counter to buy. Std or Pro model with a $70 cost differential.

great thread, everyone can pick up tips...
    Alan, seeing is believing, that would make me buy a SawStop too... I dont use TS that much and just cant justify it yet...I use the BS as much as possible, but SS is on my buy list. I just bought a new PM2000 and the SS was introduced a few months later.
    for me...
    1) If the cut does not seem safe, find another way, despite it taking longer!
    2) Dont rush, that is when most injuries happen.
    3) When tired, or not feeling great, mental fog... dont cut, do shop clean up, sharpen, etc.
    4) Wear ear muffs ALWAYS when using my impactor, we are too close to them, and they are NOISY! Once Bosch comes out with a 12V Pneumatic impactor (quiet type), buy it! Love the tool, but that banging gets to me when later during sleep.
    5) thx to this thread, get my Dylos out of storage and start using it again!
    6) use steel toe shoes consistently, as u never when that parallel clamp falls on your foot! so easy to break a toe or the shoelace bones! Sketchers brand has some super comfortable steel toe shoes. I love sneakers, but after ply fell on my foot a few months ago, I was miserable for weeks.
    7) Wear the right diopter glasses, so you can see what your doing better!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andre View Post
    All good food for thought. Which Dylos counter to buy. Std or Pro model with a $70 cost differential.
    The Pro model measures the finer dust, the stuff that really matters health-wise. Well worth the extra moulah IMO.

If looking at new safety shoes, get a good brand and also consider a met guard. The met guard protects the top of your foot. I go into a lot of industrial plants and it is becoming more the norm. Previously only places like steel mills and foundries required them.
    I have an internal met guard in mine which makes it easier for climbing ladders. I’ve been wearing my safety boots more in the shop lately and it has really helped my back not be as sore the next day after standing on the concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I have been reading up since I just bought a lathe about a month ago. Our most recent safety thread is about a year old.

What have you changed or upgraded or noticed this year?
    Built a shop. The wiring in the old one is custom-calibrated to kill someone.

Installed horse stall mats on the floor. Helps with the rooma-tiz, and might save me the occasional dented plane or broken chisel edge.

Much better lighting than I've ever had before.

Moving more equipment off the floor and up onto the walls, where it's much harder to trip over.

Moved my finish cans from an old repurposed kitchen cabinet to an old repurposed auto shop cabinet that's made of steel.

As an inveterate chopsaw slider addict, I'm also planning an upgrade to my old Hitachi "buttersaw" to improve dust collection. It's a real vomit monster.
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

Jack, can you elaborate on these horse stall mats?
    they seem to be just rubber mats
    anything unique about them?
    other than cush, why did u install them?
    do they absorb sound well?
    also, how hard are they? can you move machines on mobile bases on them ?
    this is my next shop upgrade...thx
    Last edited by Will Blick; 12-26-2020 at 4:15 PM.

Will, the stall mats are thick and relatively inexpensive per square foot...the purpose is to provide a more comfortable surface for one's feet...concrete can be really hard on feet, knees and hips with long term standing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...