Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new design element

Need a new design element

When making a desk or dresser or other cabinet I struggle with what to do to make the side and back panels interesting. My usual construction has legs and aprons with plywood panels to fill in. this makes a very sturdy and rattle free piece. And using nice plywood makes it look ok but I'm looking to step it up. Things I have considered;

Raised panels - these don't add rigidity and have a dated look.

Cloth glued to the plywood, possibly painted canvas - a little less durable but with potential.

Shop made plywood - can get a face ply that is more than paper thick but the panel has to be thick and still not much to look at. There is enough grain action in the rest of the piece that panels are not where I want to add more.

Screen or perf metal facing - ehh

Did cloth backed cane once where some ventilation was needed. That was ok.

Carving, marquetry, etc - not prepared to dive into that.

Looking for some more ideas.

Oak Desklet.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 12-12-2020 at 4:35 PM.

I recently saw a suggestion here to cut out a design in the panel and back that with a contrasting species.

Too many design elements can and will take away from the piece. The side table in your piece looks great and has plenty.

I tend to agree with Andrew especially with a panel that small ... maybe just some stringing inlay around the perimeter, or in the corners? Scrollwork would be another potential option.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

It's got some Chinese ancestors,so I would stay with that. Stain or preferably paint with red, green, or black paint.
    Would also replace the pulls with brass Chinese style.

I think your panel really should be of solid material to match the rest of the piece. Plywood is great for backs, but stands out like sore thumb next to solid wood.

I'm with Johhny. It's the first thing I saw. The piece is beautiful, but ply doesn't quite stand up to the prominent natural grain of the other members. Just a flat panel from the same stock would tie the piece together without calling attention to itself. I agree with you that raising the panel would not be right, but I have a different reason. I think the raised edges would add one element too many, leave the viewer wondering why, and draw away from the elegance of the rails.

But, like anything, taste is personal. It's clear this is a well executed piece.

I agree with the paint the panel idea. You pretty much have to have something in that space to fill the void where the sides of the drawers would otherwise show.

More of all that grain if you used more of the same stock would be overwhelming, at least to me.

I do like how the stretchers reflect the curves of the aprons, nice touch on what looks like a piece your grandchildren will argue over. I suck at design, but that is what I see.

Three suggestions Tom. Each one would for a 'specific style piece'.

1: Punched tin for something rustic, perhaps a special design for the recipient.

2: How about an old and aged brown map or drawing, Chisolm trail for someone in Texas, early New York subway etc., Something specific to the recipient.

3: A router inlay of a sheaf of wheat, a flower, or again...something of interest to the recipient. Lots of designs available. Inlace?

I agree with others that whatever you do, should not clash with the overall design.

BONUS : You could You could recess the side less, hinge on the bottom, with hidden push latch, and have a bonus space behind.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-13-2020 at 3:40 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

How about patina copper veneer? I've always liked the look of that.

And yes, I also believe that the plywood sticks out from a very nice piece you've made.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thank you for your generous comments and for the inspiring ideas. I will explore and practice these and welcome any more.

Tom

One other ideas for panels...especially if one must use plywood for them...get to know and use veneers and, perhaps invest in a small vacuum setup. That can really kick some kinds of projects up multiple notches.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a little late to the party here, but I might suggest something that pays tribute to the front. Applied moldings for example, or some tasteful carving, or perhaps splitting the panel into two sections to mimic the look of the drawer fronts. The front of the piece is the star of the show but the sides need to take a strong supporting role. I generally don't give the back much attention as it's going to be against the wall in most cases.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

Raised panels - these don't add rigidity and have a dated look.
    Curious about your comment on rigidity. Most raised panels are captured in a frame that would provide well more than enough structure for what you have mentioned.

Edit: on second thought, maybe a back panel for a large cabinet might be too much for a relatively narrow frame, but you could add a mid rail and/or style, use a wider frame, etc. Use pocket screws vs just glue.

Cloth glued to the plywood, possibly painted canvas - a little less durable but with potential.
    Shiraz just posted a video where he used stamped red leather as a finish surface. Something I had never seen and would probably never have thought of.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-13-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    All of this is a matter of taste and target environment.

Raised panels - Classic / Traditional, not dated. Knotty Pine with "L-H" hinges are dated ;-)

Cloth glued to the plywood, possibly painted canvas - Can be a little too artsy or craft-sale for my taste with a few exceptions

Shop made plywood - I think you are talking about panels with shop made veneer and this would be my first suggestion. You can do book-match, diamond-match, and beyond without stepping into the inlay world.

Screen or perf metal facing - ehh. Yeah, visions of nail-punched pie safes and rock concert speaker cabinets . . . ehh.

Milk pain and other mountain cabin chic work great in those environments. This goes for cloth and canvas as well. There is no real right or wrong unless it's "rustic" . . . that is always very dated and just plain wrong for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler