Thread: The Moxon is functional

The Moxon is functional

I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to it, but I've finished the build on my Moxon. All that's left are to 1) apply the oil finish and 2) line the inner chop.

Here's a front view:

front.jpg

I opted for 18" between the lead screws. I never plan on dovetailing a 24" cabinet side, and I wanted to have about 30" of bench front free for chopping out waste after sawing on the Moxon.

It's hard maple with oak handwheels. I went into the handwheels ad nauseam in April here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....uot&highlight=

The wheels spin as well as I would want: one or two spins from putting it on to tightening it down. One wheel is very slightly off-center, so it takes one extra spin. But, you know, I made them myself, so they are "perfect." You know what I mean.

Here the vise in perspective, and a side view showing lots of additional capacity:

perspective.jpg side.jpg

I got lucky with the grain pattern on the tops of the chops.

I expected to hold it onto the bench with clamps on the end tabs, and it does work like that. A Bessey parallel clamp covers the chop tab plus all but 1/4" of the stabilizer ends, and by themselves the clamps are fine. The hold-downs are also rock solid by themselves. Belt and suspenders. Knowing me, I'll probably use both. My bench is hinged to the wall, so there is no movement at all as I saw. That's fortunate: my sawing technique leaves a lot to be desired.

I had a thin maple strip left over from a rip, so for now I'm using that under the hold-downs –– at least until it wears out –– to avoid dents in the stabilizer. If the strip doesn't dent, I'll eliminate it.

hold-down pad.jpg

I loved working the maple. Cuts, planes, and shapes like buttah. It can burn, but the burn planes right out.

I used Tung oil on the wheels and I'll also use it on the maple, except on the bottom and front of the rear chop. I'm going to line the front chop with soft two-sided suede. I'll need to figure out which glue to use. The debate rages on elsewhere in this forum.

Well, I've jumped onto the Moxon fad bandwagon. Seems like everywhere you look for the past five years, everyone's making a Moxon. I owe a debt of gratitude to the many Creekers who shared their examples and gave me advice along the way to help me make decisions.

Now I have one less excuse to build that little wall cabinet my wife wants.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-12-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Tidy, handsome and functional.

Kudos