Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Server/Buffet in Cherry & Curly Maple

Blog Entries
    Excellent work, curly Cherry with curly Maple, nothing better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Looking good Jay. Clean classic lines, great color, and pull outs are the only way to go :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A really appealing piece! Strong 2-tone color, one and a half pair of lush orb knobs. One stile over two stiles making
    Deco style center. Love the magic of the horizontal drawer front grain and vertical door grain ...having parallel grain! Real unstudied
    art-ful beauty.

A beautiful piece, Jay. Just in time for the Holidays, too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Awesome, I'm sure it will be appreciated! Those panels are gorgeous!

Beautiful piece! Great knowing a fellow Creeker is a neighbor. I live in Boalsburg.

You did a beautiful job on this piece Jay. It looks REALLY nice. Sure glad you got the door straightened out. Would have drove me nuts too.

Running along the leg by the hinges appears to be a reveal of some type. Anyone know what that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Running along the leg by the hinges appears to be a reveal of some type. Anyone know what that is?
    The doors are set back a bit from the front of the legs. There are applied 1/4” thick spacers to allow room for the hinge knuckles. Although the drawers don’t need the spacers, they provide continuity of the lines.

This seems to be a fairly common design element.

Also, it so happens that I cut a couple of mortises in the wrong place on the insides of the front legs. I was lucky that the spacers covered my mistake!
    Last edited by Jay Aubuchon; 12-30-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks Jay.

Jay, how did you install the hinges? Also, what size are they?

Just perfect. Great lines, finish, and craftsmanship. I like the exposed dovetail pins on the pull out fronts.

Geesh, not sure how I missed this before. Beautiful work Jay! Love cherry+maple and you have a great balance of feature panels to the overall cabinet.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I found the Milkovits plans through your post. Thanks!

My suspicion regarding the doors is that the front of the piece is not sufficiently rigid. I put it on its back and laid the doors in place to mark for the hinges. They fit perfectly. I installed the hinges. Still perfect. But when I set it back on its feet, one door was off.

I don't know what I would do about that though, if I were to make another.
    Very nice furniture!
    Not sure how you fixed the alignment thing.
    The door alignment fiasco can be solved by putting a felt pad under a certain leg or sometimes two pads or two legs, just experiment. I had to do that on a purchased piece once. On later pieces use a 3/4 thick back to mostly eliminate racking due to uneven floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Jay, how did you install the hinges? Also, what size are they?
    The hinge leaves are 2 1/2 inches tall. They are non-mortise hinges. Here you can see how the spacer and door are set back a little from the front of the leg. Because of the set-back, the spacer is needed to allow room for the knuckle.

246CCCAD-72D4-45E5-AD8B-9B883099D92F.jpg

Here you can see how the hinge leaves are mounted to the surfaces of the spacer and the door stile. Because the smaller leaf nests inside the larger, the hinge requires only 1/16” between spacer and stile.

1CA76681-CE55-4A75-B153-103F3A585466.jpg

Hey, somebody forgot to erase the pencil lines marking the hinge location!