Thread: EZCAD 2.14.11- Increased RAM, Offline Save

EZCAD 2.14.11- Increased RAM, Offline Save

All,
    You folks have been a huge help to me here and I wanted to share this file with you folks first. On one of my facebook groups a much nerdier nerd than myself went in and changed some aspects of the .exe file to let EZCAD know there's more RAM available that it can utilize. Previously it seemed to be limited to using 2GB, some folks have reported it utilizing up to 3.5GB now. That is, it should crash less on large files.

In addition, in the comments of that post I was pointed towards this link in which a guy pointed out what bits to change so that you can save files offline (that is, without a dongle). So, to get the best of both worlds (more RAM utilization, save without a dongle) then took the .exe file from the first guy (more RAM) and went in and edited those bits with a Hex Editor to get the offline save. You can find that file attached (just unzip it). EZCAD2.14.11 FIX.zip

I have only been using this for an hour or two, so please treat this as experimental for the time being. This is for 2.14.11 only. make a copy of your current EZCAD folder with all of the supporting files, delete the main .exe file and drop mine from above in it's place. Do the same thing with the .dll file in the .zip folder (it's in the same folder on your PC as the EzCAD.exe file). That's all you need to do.

Some other notes to make life easier while I am at it (whether or not you use the new .exe file):
    -in the EZCAD 2.14.11 --> res folder: use a text editor to change the license.txt file (this is the start up window where you hit Agree). I changed the text to tell me what lens I'm using (I have a separate copy of the EZCAD folder for each lens)
    -Also in that folder, you can edit the Logo.bmp file to change the start up image. Again, I put a note on there about what lens I am using (the more warnings, the better)

I hope this of some help. I'm not fantastic at programming, so if some issues do crop up this may be all for naught-- but I'm hoping it is smooth sailing.

-Matt
    Last edited by Matt Schrum; 12-11-2020 at 9:37 PM.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

This looks worth trying, is it available as an external download?
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Thanks Matt! I've been using the other guys file from the FB group with the memory fix. I had jokingly made the comment that if we could fix EzCad's 'Dog Not Found' error we'd be in business and here you are! Anyway, thanks it's working well. Did you have to HEX it or go the C++ route with program options? I had a F$L years ago and they capped their lasers at 10mAh, so a little HEX of the EXE fixed it.

Cheers
    -Jeff
    RayFine Fiber Laser (JPT M6+, Sino Galvo head)
    RayFine RF-1390 100w EFR
    Blast Cabinet, Vinyl Cutter, Sublimation Equipment, CNC

Julian,
    Besides the link in my post, I'm not aware of another version out there. I've seen the increased memory one floating around in a couple of my facebook groups, but I have not seen one that also tackled the dongle/demo mode side of things.

Jeff,
    I edited the file with a hex editor following the work of some other folks. It'll still yell at you that an LMC board is not connected, but it does not flip into demo mode and otherwise operates normally (besides the initial "No LMC board" pop up)

So, will the memory help be of much use on 32bit computers?

(I only have version .10 anyway so won't matter)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So, will the memory help be of much use on 32bit computers?

(I only have version .10 anyway so won't matter)
    Kev,
    Honestly I'm not sure-- I hadn't run any large enough files previously to have any issues with EzCAD crashing on me. However, once I saw the blog about how to edit the program files to allow for offline saving, I figured I might as well take what was considered the latest and greatest version and make my edits to that. Anecdotally, folks have reported less crashing with the increased RAM version-- but I haven't noticed a difference with the type of work I am doing.

Kev,
    I was thinking 2.10, not 2.14.10. If you're having crashes where more RAM might help, try the download at the link below. The guy on the forum that did 2.14.11 also did the same change on the .10 file (that's what the download link points to). He is hosting it on his own OneDrive, so I'd download it soon in case he removes the file in the future. Again, you just need to replace the .exe file in your folder (I renamed my old one so it's easy to revert back if I need to, then dropped this one in there)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atr1-Y6LAdaZmjgK...N67Tc?e=4Wjdft

I'll have to play with it, thanks!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle