Thread: Bathtub refinishing

Bathtub refinishing

I asked a similar question about acrylic tubs, but this one is about the other tub in the house.

Got a cast iron (I think) tub with some stains that don't come off. I have previously (different house) had guys from Craig List refinish a tub twice, and I think they just sprayed epoxy paint on it. This lasted about a year each.

I am wondering if a real company that refinishes tubs, has a product that holds up better.

I paid $300 for the cheap jobs, and the 'pro' price is about $700.

PS: I know I should just replace the tub, but the tile job around it is great, as are the tiles on the floor, and I am sure I would mess them up.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My In-laws had their 50 year old tub re-glazed by one of the franchise type "bath refurbishers". It help up great the 5-6 years more that they lived in the house.

AFAIK, they all use an epoxy coating. There may be different qualities available, but I'd bet there isn't a big difference. Where the difference is, like all painting, is the prep. Acid wash, clean, neutralize etc. Extra cost in labor and chemicals.

Google or check YouTube for a product named ekopel 2k. I investigated it earlier and may still try it for a possible upcoming project. It looks like a mess putting it on but supposed to be much more durable than the epoxy paint jobs.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Thanks for the info folks. At age 78, no way I plan to DIY this. I looked up videos, and ads about it, and decided to call a pro shop for an estimate Monday.

I will report back, on both threads.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.