Thread: Refinishing acrylic bathtubs

Refinishing acrylic bathtubs

Can it be done successfully?

My son has followed the crowd of business owners moving out of California, and moved his trucking business to Texas. We bought his house to use as a rental, and keep it just in case he decides to return.

It has a large fancy acrylic bathtub in the master bedroom, which has a large stain at the drain area. It looks like it could be a rust stain.

Is it possible to use wet and dry sandpaper to sand through the stain and refinish the tub with a clear coat? I assume that whatever finish it had on it is shot, and the area would get stained quickly again if I just try to sand it off.

Anyone redone an acrylic tub?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Definite maybe! It all depends on the stain. Surface or penetrating. All you can do is try a few things to remove it. I'd start with a commercial strength bathroom cleaner, one that purports to remove rust/calcium buildup. Follow with a stronger acid if needed. Then resort to abrasives. Once it is gone, you may find the color is different in that area. At t.hat point you have to decide if a refinish is needed. If not, an automotive clearcoat would work to restore the sheen.

I've done a few this way with fair success.

I don't know about refinishing but we had a small crack repaired in our acrylic tub/shower years ago. I was told it was the same process as repairing a fiberglass boat finish. Maybe check with a local marina or plumbing shop.

Maybe contact he manufacturer if you know who that is.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Duplicate answer to the other post:

Thanks for the information. At age 78, no way I will DIY this, and will be calling a pro franchise I found on YouTube for and estimate Monday.

I will report the results.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I thank you for bringing this up, Rick...I really need to get a giant jacuzzi that's in what's our daughter's bathroom (the original master before we put on our addition) as it's...um...mauve...and needs to turn white sometime between now and when we likely 'downsize" in a year or three.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't think that sanding is the best way to go for plastic. I suggest that you use a Random Orbital Sander with 3M pads and 3M polishing cleaner first. Start with a higher abrasive polish and work your way down.