Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forever Boxes Build Video

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    What?!! you want all my secrets?

Actually - it is very simple and will post pictures when I can. I also have another one I made that is low profile for gluing two 1/8" thick pieces of material together for acoustic guitar tops and bottoms. Then after gluing, I would run them through the wide-belt sander to .90" thick. Pretty finicky stuff, so the gluing had to be dead on.
    Shiraz, that would be great I look forward to seeing the pictures on the jigs when you can. And I appreciate any insite on them.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Thanks for posting the video Shiraz and really enjoyed it! I"m interested in your panel glue up jig as well.

One of my first major WW tools was a Grizzly 1023 tablesaw purchased from the Springfield location about 15 years ago when we lived in Springdale AR.

I am in sales for work and still cover the area. I visit the Springfield store anytime I get the chance!

Mike

Shiraz,

You have amazing attention to detail and forethought. The panel glue-up jig is very nifty. I very much enjoyed the box and also the anvil stand video.

Charles

4. Quote Originally Posted by Charles P. Wright View Post
    Shiraz,

You have amazing attention to detail and forethought. The panel glue-up jig is very nifty. I very much enjoyed the box and also the anvil stand video.

Charles
    Thank you!

I have started a new thread with photos of the jig.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....pular-requests

Beautiful work. I especially appreciated your detailed explanations and unhurried presentations of the various steps in creating the heirloom boxes. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for making and posting that video Shiraz! You explain things so nicely, and I really learned a lot. Heck, I feel like we're buddies after spending all this time "together" :-)

Near the end, I started wondering what will happen if another grandchild joins the ranks... another box?

(PS, and I'm very much enjoying my Grizzly bandsaw and table saw!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post

Near the end, I started wondering what will happen if another grandchild joins the ranks... another box?
    If another Grandchild joins the ranks I sure as heck am not going to make another one of those boxes! Maybe another unique "something" and another video.

Thanks.

The boxes are stunning and the tour of your Dream Shop is eye candy to those of us who enjoy the craft. I kept stopping the video to look around your shop, can't say I have ever seen a facility as impressive.

Thanks for spending the time to share your Heirloom Box project, the video will also be a treasure for your grand children. It's one thing to tell people that my Grandfather built this for me, its another to be able to see the process unfold. The memory will be as cherished as the box.

Really nice on every angle, your shop, the craftsmanship and the boxes are all outstanding. I really like that you list a lot of the tool numbers listed in your video. Can you tell me what material you are using for some of your holding fixtures and your router fence?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Can you tell me what material you are using for some of your holding fixtures and your router fence?
    My material of choice for jigs is generally Eastern hard rock maple. We have some damaged maple bench tops that I re-purpose for jigs. Sometimes I will get old shipping tables that were made of maple, but look like railroad ties after many years of dirt, grime and dents. I remove all staples and then run through the wide-belt sander to get the original beautiful white maple finish. These end up looking like new. Also have been known to use Bubinga since I have so much of it.

For the router fence I use Phenolic. Hard as a rock and perfectly flat. Expensive, but worth it.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The boxes are stunning and the tour of your Dream Shop is eye candy to those of us who enjoy the craft. I kept stopping the video to look around your shop, can't say I have ever seen a facility as impressive.

Thanks for spending the time to share your Heirloom Box project, the video will also be a treasure for your grand children. It's one thing to tell people that my Grandfather built this for me, its another to be able to see the process unfold. The memory will be as cherished as the box.
    Thank you Keith!

I have the advantage of having access to all the machines as well as space. I should probably do a short video walking through the space briefly talking about the machines and why I have them. As a matter of interest - all those machines are my personal machines that I bought from the company at a nice discount, and also paid sales tax to keep the accounting clean. Having plenty of space for multiple benches is a real boon. Currently setting up a 4 axis CNC and then may do some projects/videos for CNC users.