Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compound miter on a slider?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    What am I missing on this?

Attachment 446910
    Havent followed closely but I think what you may be missing is its likely nice to be able to tune fence angle once on the wagon not having to swing the fence as you graphic shows. Our approach to this when t comes up for repetitive cuts is to cut a spacer for the other side of the fence that allows flipping the part to the leading edge of the fence (we always cut on the trailing edge).

Im assuming Jeff is trying to batch out multiples and having to setup the fence for each side of the miter introduces a lot of error no different than swinging a compound miter saw. In a repetitive situation its really nice to dial everything in and leave it locked and just batch out parts.

P.S... The flip side to that is to make a quick rigid fence that projects to the other side of the blade (but is not cut completely through) and cut all your parts on one side of the blade but holding the part for the outbound side of the cut is a nuisance.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-12-2020 at 1:25 PM.

I think that fixture could work. The difference i see from my setup is I like to reference off the bottom.
    I use a regular table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I think that fixture could work. The difference i see from my setup is I like to reference off the bottom.
    I use a regular table saw.
    Everyone would like to reference off the short point. But it your batching out parts that is a pretty brutal reference surface for speed and production.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Everyone would like to reference off the short point. But it your batching out parts that is a pretty brutal reference surface for speed and production.
    Once again Mark here where we don’t have common ground. Speed and production aren’t something I have to consider.
    My work advice comes from a artistic point.
    I do appreciate your view I’ve read lots of posts you’ve made. You seem like a very knowledgeable guy.
    I think Jeff might be making one or two so I thought I would share my point.
    Good day good Luck Always
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Havent followed closely but I think what you may be missing is its likely nice to be able to tune fence angle once on the wagon not having to swing the fence as you graphic shows. Our approach to this when t comes up for repetitive cuts is to cut a spacer for the other side of the fence that allows flipping the part to the leading edge of the fence (we always cut on the trailing edge).

Im assuming Jeff is trying to batch out multiples and having to setup the fence for each side of the miter introduces a lot of error no different than swinging a compound miter saw. In a repetitive situation its really nice to dial everything in and leave it locked and just batch out parts.

P.S... The flip side to that is to make a quick rigid fence that projects to the other side of the blade (but is not cut completely through) and cut all your parts on one side of the blade but holding the part for the outbound side of the cut is a nuisance.
    I updated the drawing. It might have been a bit confusing, but I had simply mirrored it to save a little effort.

I agree with setting the fence accurately. Hence the gauge made beforehand to the calculated angle. Set the fence, cut all of one end. Flip the gauge, reset the fence, cut the others. Yes, a lot of back and forth tuning it, but I think the actual fit can be tweaked in with blade angle. You might not wind up the exact wall angles you want, but it should be close.

Same issue with a CMS, eyeballing the angles and making tweaks to get the fit. At least here, you've got a solid adjustment for blade angle, and gravity isn't fighting you adjusting the fence angle.

The other approach would be a wedge for the angle, and flip it end for end. The gauge I mentioned in post 7.

whats allowed for cross grain wood movement?

Secondly are you really wanting to put those sides on top of a bottom and have end grain showing on the sides. cant think of anything positive to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Speed and production aren’t something I have to consider.
    I dont think anything posted in this forum is necessarily pertaining to making 350 of the serving trays however given the season of serving and gift giving one would assume (though likely a completely inaccurate assumption) that making "some" of the trays means more than one. I would guess if its likely more than two but not less than 350 the question was posed as a way to do the relatively complicated, and uber precise, setup of the compound miter as few times as humanly possible to preserve sanity, forget about profitability.

I completely appreciate your ability to arrange your lifestyle in a way that affords you the ability to work with utter disregard for any ounce of reasonable profitability. Its a station in life we all aspire to find. A clientele that allows us endless pursuits to complete our fruitfulness at their expense. Im happy for ya. But at some point it kinda becomes obvious what the objective is. We slammed out some 30 odd sets of nesting trays for customer appreciation gifts and a bunch for family and friends a few years back because we setup repetitive fixtures so set one came out looking like set 31. Im guessing somewhere in that spread is what the OP was asking about but have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    What am I missing on this?

Attachment 446933
    Nothing Mark, I had a major brain fart with the dual fence position. I spent an hour working on a setup block today and made a few test cuts. My 45 must be off as my miters are open on the inside. My wixey battery was dead so I couldn't get an accurate reading, but that should fix my issue.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Not supposed to be 45, the 'miter' angle changes depending on the wall angles.

http://jansson.us/jcompound.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Nothing Mark, I had a major brain fart with the dual fence position. I spent an hour working on a setup block today and made a few test cuts. My 45 must be off as my miters are open on the inside. My wixey battery was dead so I couldn't get an accurate reading, but that should fix my issue.
    Try these numbers 14.5 miter gauge and 43 degree saw blade tilt. It’s a nice slope I use on my small containers. Or you can use any number off a chart I think that’s what Wes has suggested .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj