Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FWW Mail Box Build (Inlay, Proud DT’s)

Can I add to the chorus of kudos? Gorgeous work - especially with such thin stock!

Michael, your builds are always impressive and wonderfully documented, for which us lesser mortals are most appreciative.

Hope the family is all healthy and safe. Best to you mi amigo, Patrick from up the coast a bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Silverson View Post
    Would you please detail your watco/varnish finish. Whenever I read varnish I'm curious what exactly is meant. Thankyou. Beautifully done work, I'm very impressed with your skill.
    David, I'm making this sound more complex than it really is and I certainly claim-0 expertise with finishing- my least favorite part of WW. "Watco oil/varnish mix" referred to is just Waco brand wood finish available in most BORG's. My understanding is product is mix of some kind of penetrating oil, which to my eye helps make fiquie more visible, and varnish that hardens "in" the wood rather than on it.

Certainly there are many here who know much more about this than me. To me finishing is only an opportunity to screw things up. I have a couple go to finishes I can repeat and stick with. Best advice I can offer is make your own shellac and learn to use it-it's not hard.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Mike
    Beautiful work!
    Dumb question, what keeps the string in place and how durable is it? I would assume the tack from finish locks it in?

In regards to durability can you set stuff on top without worry of it knocking the string loose?
    Hey Mike, I glue stringing into the groove w/ regular Titebond applied via disposable plastic syringe, available for most tool suppliers. Once dry, plane stringing flush with surface. It's as durable as whatever surface finish you apply.

Gorgeous, and inspirational. Thanks for sharing your work.