Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Used 3HP Sawstop PCS

Value of a Used 3HP Sawstop PCS

I have a woodworking friend who came down with Parkinson's. He's now in a facility and his wife has a buyer for his SawStop but asked me what I thought it was worth. He didn't use it a lot (as you can imagine) and it's not that old. When he bought it, I think he thought the progress of his disease would be slower.

It's a 3HP PCS, 36" fence with the ICS mobile base

The 3HP PCS with the 36" fence sells new for about $2,880 and the base is about $350. The buyer is a friend of theirs but she doesn't want to just give it away. I can't find any used SawStop saws on Craigslist to compare to.

If I recommend 80% of new, that's about $2,600. What do you think?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If I recommend 80% of new, that's about $2,600. What do you think?

Mike
    80% of new is astonishing resale value for anything. It may be fair if it is in fact really new and complete with no hidden damage, and easily moved from it's location. At that price, warranty status would also be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    80% of new is astonishing resale value for anything. It may be fair if it is in fact really new and complete with no hidden damage, and easily moved from it's location. At that price, warranty status would also be critical.
    No, I'm sure it's out of warrantee. What value would you assign? I know SawStop saws tend to resell fairly high. I think 50% is too low.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If in great condition, I think 70-75% of new.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    If in great condition, I think 70-75% of new.
    Sounds good, thanks.

Mike

They do tend to hold their value incredibly well from what I have seen. Like Festool tools.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Any idea on their current stock levels ?

If the are out of stock at dealers, then your friend's is a lot more valuable.

Sounds good, thanks.

Mike
    I'd agree with 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Any idea on their current stock levels ?

If the are out of stock at dealers, then your friend's is a lot more valuable.
    They are out of stock in several of the places I checked. However, the person purchasing it was helpful to my friend's wife during his illness so she doesn't want to extract the maximum. She said "Tell me what is a "fair" price for both of us."

Mike

Mike,I

While SS tends to hold their price and a light used machine could be worth about 70%, the buyer might also save the $250 delivery fee and any sales tax, which could be another $200 or so depending on the tax rate in your area.

So, while the saw is 3049 (where did you see it for 2880 cause that is a good price too), plus the 350 mobile base and 450ish for delivery and tax, that saw is maybe 3800 new. If the buyer has a means of getting the saw relocated safely without dishing out a lot of cash for movers a price of $2500 would almost be a nice sweet spot. This person was a lot of help to their family so i'd be pretty easy on the price.

If I am buying used from a private party, I rarely will go much over 50%, mostly because there are so many unknowns, and if you run into a problem, you generally have no recourse. This includes things in near new condition (maybe 60% then). From a store, I might go up around 60%, maybe 70%. Anything more than that and I would rather just buy the thing new and have full warranty on it, and not worry that it was dropped, abused, run dry of oil, etc.

If the person was a family friend and was helpful during the illness, $2000-$2500 is probably pretty fair for both parties. That setup from Acme is around $3650 before tax (if it was in stock). Caring for someone going down hill is incredibly demanding; mentally, physically, and emotionally, and helping out at a time like that is definitely worthy of reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Mike,I

While SS tends to hold their price and a light used machine could be worth about 70%, the buyer might also save the $250 delivery fee and any sales tax, which could be another $200 or so depending on the tax rate in your area.

So, while the saw is 3049 (where did you see it for 2880 cause that is a good price too), plus the 350 mobile base and 450ish for delivery and tax, that saw is maybe 3800 new. If the buyer has a means of getting the saw relocated safely without dishing out a lot of cash for movers a price of $2500 would almost be a nice sweet spot. This person was a lot of help to their family so i'd be pretty easy on the price.
    I was going by what he paid for it. I have a copy of his purchase invoice. When I make my recommendation I'll take the current price into account. Thanks for pointing that out.

But I think something around $2,500 is fair for both of them. I know the saw is in good condition - I used it one time working with him so I'm not afraid to represent it as in excellent working condition.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-10-2020 at 10:46 PM.

I was going by what he paid for it. I have a copy of his purchase invoice. When I make my recommendation I'll take the current price into account. Thanks for pointing that out.

But I think something around $2,500 is fair for both of them. I know the saw is in good condition - I used it one time working with him so I'm not afraid to represent it as in excellent working condition.

Mike
    From how you describe it, that sounds very realistic. I would pay that for it.

I bought my 3HP Sawstop used for $2500. It was in good but not perfect condition.

I looked for a used SawStop in Seattle and as far away as Oregon for 2 years. They sold within days for close to retail (minus sales tax), due to the fact that they very rarely came available (maybe one every two or three months). If you look in your area on CL, I don't think you'll find one right off.

I have the same saw, which I purchased new in the box for retail from CL, after looking for 2 years. It was for retail minus sales tax and I had to assemble (I got the free overhead guard, which is thrown in during their "sale").

If I was looking to sell mine to a friend, $2,500 would be a deal for both of us, especially with that base, assuming that it was well cared for (no rust!). They don't depreciate much, due to demand.