Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumped again Help Please

Stumped again Help Please

A good Friend of mine from the Fighting 5th Marines had this on his Card. He asked if I could engrave it and gave me the business card. Well I got the image off the card and I got it vectorized But it like in a whole bunch of layers that include a back ground shade . As I strip down the layers the image deteriorates more and more. Is there anyway to get just the image and text. This is what I started with and where Im at now.IMG_2005.jpgAX BxW.jpgIm trying to upload the CDR but says its to big and I forgot how to make it smaller
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Take your gray pic AS IS, open it in Corel Photo-Paint. Click on the IMAGE tab, scroll down to SPLIT CHANNELS TO-- choose CYMK-
    It'll return 4 pics, one of them will be just black with a white background, like this-

cymk.jpg

(I cropped the top & bottom)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've clice every thing and don't see what your talking aboutphoto paint.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, I'm guessing you are using Windows 10 with the old X5 CorelDraw, and are suffering from the dreaded invisible menu bar. Due to some coding snafu, the color of menu bar text comes out the same as the background color when running that older pre-Windows 10 software in Windows 10, making the menu invisible until you mouse over it and temporarily change the default color to mouse-over color. The menu bar is in that clear band right below where it says Corel PhotoPaint at the top, and you will see the menu tabs (File, Edit, View, Image, Adjust, Effects, Mask, Object, Movie, Web, Tools, Window, Help) appear as you hover your mouse over them. So move your mouse pointer straight up between the Paste and Undo buttons, and you should see the word Image appear. You can left click to expand that tab and find Split Channels a bit more than half way down.

Thanx Glenn yes I have that x5 and I know about the hidden menu bar just never thought to look for the image tab there LOL , now lets see if I can some how save as a vector image .
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    Bert, I'm guessing you are using Windows 10 with the old X5 CorelDraw, and are suffering from the dreaded invisible menu bar. Due to some coding snafu, the color of menu bar text comes out the same as the background color when running that older pre-Windows 10 software in Windows 10, making the menu invisible until you mouse over it and temporarily change the default color to mouse-over color. The menu bar is in that clear band right below where it says Corel PhotoPaint at the top, and you will see the menu tabs (File, Edit, View, Image, Adjust, Effects, Mask, Object, Movie, Web, Tools, Window, Help) appear as you hover your mouse over them. So move your mouse pointer straight up between the Paste and Undo buttons, and you should see the word Image appear. You can left click to expand that tab and find Split Channels a bit more than half way down.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I give up
    When I changed it to a vector I had a whole bunch of layers again and it just engraves a big black box. and if I uncheck so of the shades I loose the image.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Here's a vectored version I made with my old Casmate----> Berts.cdr

and, here's a video of me doing the conversion

Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-11-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev and everyone I'll give this one a try tomorrow
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Kev you are the MAN!! once again you come thru. My biggest problem with this was trying to get one layer BXW , I was getting like 8 or 10 layers of shades of grey and one of those was the entire back ground which engrave the whole thing black.Thanks my friend will be happy. Now I just have to figure out what to engrave it on for him. I'm thinking maybe a Mirror or an Acrylic Light Base..
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks to all who helped on this. I'll never learn corel like some of you have. I just don't do enough engraving and what I do ..do is pretty simple stuff most the time. Thanks Guys
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Glen I appreciate the new tip you just taught us all, Bert may not have understood the process but you saved me several steps I have been having to go through to get to the final step..

I have Corel X6 in Win 10 and have the same hidden bar.... what a pain....

Thanks again

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Just thought I'd show the finish piece for my friend. never would have been able to finish this with out the help I got here once again thanks Guys. Now I wish I was a better photographer and got rid of the reflection.I did this on a sheet 22x12" clear cast acrylic that I painted one side glossy Black reversed the image and engraved the painted side then gave it a couple coat of clear lacquer .Oh I added the arrows as an after thought.heres the Image and the finished piece .IMG_2005.jpgFreedon Ax.jpg
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You could have positioned the piece so that the window didn't reflect off it, and either use a light off to the side rather than on your phone/camera, and/or adjust the angle of the face to the camera so that the reflection is not there.

The engraved result is pretty neat but I really like the color of the original more, and the negative effect of engraving to white on black makes the engraved version a bit odd (for example, the white hoof and mostly black leg make it a bit difficult to realize that the shaft is a deer leg). Would be a perfect place to reverse print with UV ink printer. But I bet this image would come out pretty nice if you first sprayed the back with maybe a dark green or other complementary color of your choice, then engraved the black areas using a dither pattern and filled with black, engraved the brown areas with a dither pattern and filled with brown, engraved beads and filled with turquoise, and finally engraved the white areas (either left frosted or filled with white). Definitely more time and effort, but I bet it would really pop!

Thanks for the ideas but I don't have the knowledge or the resources to do that. Since 99% of what I do is donated and all materials are on my dime I try to keep things simple and cost effective as possible .As far as the Photo goes I'll try what you said and see how it goes. I did move the engraving all around the room and tried to angle it but no matter what I did I still got a reflection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    You could have positioned the piece so that the window didn't reflect off it, and either use a light off to the side rather than on your phone/camera, and/or adjust the angle of the face to the camera so that the reflection is not there.

The engraved result is pretty neat but I really like the color of the original more, and the negative effect of engraving to white on black makes the engraved version a bit odd (for example, the white hoof and mostly black leg make it a bit difficult to realize that the shaft is a deer leg). Would be a perfect place to reverse print with UV ink printer. But I bet this image would come out pretty nice if you first sprayed the back with maybe a dark green or other complementary color of your choice, then engraved the black areas using a dither pattern and filled with black, engraved the brown areas with a dither pattern and filled with brown, engraved beads and filled with turquoise, and finally engraved the white areas (either left frosted or filled with white). Definitely more time and effort, but I bet it would really pop!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander