Thread: Puzzle

Puzzle

Here's a puzzle i played as a little tyke at my Grandpa's... Made by stacking 2 3/32" sheets (from colorado heirloom). One of them was vectored/engraved. (the piece in the lower middle is missing, to allow the pieces to shuffle around). In the pic, you'll see the pieces aren't in the same config as when cut (grain different) but the pieces slide a lot better if you leave them in the same orientation as when cut. Mine slide just fine in the Maple piece just using the Kerf (without making the pieces slightly smaller).

It's FUN

Here's the Ver 9 CDR
    if you're interested.

Next is the 15 little squares with numbers and you shuffle around rearranging the numbers.

Shaddy.

Puzzle

Shaddy,

That brings back memories, made some wood puzzles years ago for my kids, had to cut with a jigsaw back then. One thing though I learned, get
    the clear show polish (Kiwi) and use it on the edges for better sliding.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The lasering I think leaves it smoother than a scroll saw does, so the sliding isn't a problem. One thing I might do is revamp the pieces to have tiny radii, once in a while the corners catch on eachother when sliding.

It's been a hit at work, I can't seem to just show it off and move on, i have to leave it with them while they try and solve it. I left it in the break room and people have been taking turns.

The thing so far that gets people is that the pieces aren't captive, I guess they're used to the plastic games where the pieces are interlocked. They keep turning the thing over to look at the back and the pieces fall out.

Shaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Shaddy Dedmore
    The thing so far that gets people is that the pieces aren't captive, I guess they're used to the plastic games where the pieces are interlocked. They keep turning the thing over to look at the back and the pieces fall out.
    Makes it a whole lot easier to solve, doesn't it?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.