Thread: Bosch Router Won't turn on

Bosch Router Won't turn on

have others had similar problems to mine? I have a Bosch 1617 router that I've been very happy with for 2 years of intermittent use. I don't think I've been very hard on it, but as of yesterday it just stopped turning on. It was working fine, then I changed the bit, plugged it in and it wouldn't start (no evidence of life whatsoever). after tweaking the cord and flipping the switch a few times it did turn on, but then I turned it off again to change the setup and it just wouldn't start again. I don't think its a thermal overload problem, since it still won't start today. Of course this happens just as I'm about to need to a whole lot for a current project.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Joe

Joe,

SOme of the 1617's had bad switches - picked up dust, etc. Try blowing out the switch with compressed air. In most cases it works.

Burt

Joe,
    I had the same problem with my Bosch. I tried to blow mine out but there was just too much fine dust caked in the switch. I just removed from the switch, disassembled, cleaned and now it's as good as new.

Deck

Bad Switch

Same thing here with the switch. I took it apart and it was almost totally filled with sawdust. After putting it back together it worked fine. Then I had the problem with the corrosion of the case. Boy does this metal oxidise! You'd think I kept it in salt water 24/7. I don't think Bosch deserves any more of my money. There must be better routers around without these problems.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

5. Yep, mine had a bad switch too. Totally replaced it with a new one (better quality) like 5 years ago and never had to clean it since.

Yep, those Bosch switches! I had the same problem with my Bosch router and jigsaw. Took em apart, cleaned the fine dust out of the switch housing, and problem solved. Until it gets filled up with dust again, that is.

Same problem here. It worked for about 8 months. No authorized service here in Anchorage any more, so I returned it to Costco, they did not have them anymore, but they refunded my money. I picked up another one, no problems yet. I also had the switch go out on my Bosch ROS, that was fixed under warranty.

Jonathan

Thanks for the help

I wanted to thank everyone who offered advise for my question. Took apart the router and the switch, blew out the HUGE amount of dust caked in, and put it back together--works like a charm.

To Bosch's credit, I emailed their customer support and pointed out that I knew the problem was with the switch. I got prompt replies to all my emails and they gave me the choice of having a new (dust sealed) switch sent (to replace myself) or sending in the router for them to fix it free. I got them to send me the new one, and I'll put it in the next time I have a problem.
    j

Had to pull mine out this weekend, won't turn on and I could not get it to blow out. I had to take it out and rap it on the bench a bunch of time to get it all out.

I sent and email to Bosch about it and will see if I can get a better switch.

I would also like to thank everyone here for the replies, it saved me from taking it in and I got my little project done today.

Thanks...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    Same thing here with the switch. I took it apart and it was almost totally filled with sawdust. After putting it back together it worked fine. Then I had the problem with the corrosion of the case. Boy does this metal oxidise! You'd think I kept it in salt water 24/7. I don't think Bosch deserves any more of my money. There must be better routers around without these problems.
    alan i had the same problem with my 1617 router also.i contacted bosch cust service and was told to send it to them.about a week later i got it back with the new alum housing and i believe new switch and bearing.my only cost was the shipping to them, i thought that was pretty good cust service.i would contact them and see if you can get the same deal.fred

Talking Thanks Sawmill Creek!!!!

My Bosch 1617 quit working last night after two years of router table work. Upset and disgusted that I would have to buy a router to finish a project (the local bosch service center is three weeks behind!!). I was researching which router to buy..Porter Cable 895(bad reviews in a table mount) or the Triton from Woodcraft (a mere $214 this month). I decided to check if any other creekers had the same problem. Low and behold! I could not wait to get home from work and check that switch!!!
    Multimeter out and sure enough no voltage after the switch! Five minutes later it is running smoothly (and without the teaspoon of dust and charred remains located in the switch). I will order a dust resistant version tomorrow and save it for the inevitable next time!
    Thanks again you saved me from spending $200 for no reason.

By the way I love the Bosch router under the table-- the adjustments are smooth and precise. No backlash at all. I hated to give that up!

I'm having the same problem with my Bosch ROS. See:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61461

I guess the problem with their tools is more common than I thought.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Just called Bosch myself. Have had only intermittent problems with mine. They're sending me a new switch. Customer service was great!

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mindell View Post
    I wanted to thank everyone who offered advise for my question. Took apart the router and the switch, blew out the HUGE amount of dust caked in, and put it back together--works like a charm.

To Bosch's credit, I emailed their customer support and pointed out that I knew the problem was with the switch. I got prompt replies to all my emails and they gave me the choice of having a new (dust sealed) switch sent (to replace myself) or sending in the router for them to fix it free. I got them to send me the new one, and I'll put it in the next time I have a problem.
    j

Blog Entries
    As others have posted, I have had nothing but the best service from Bosch. If a cleanout doesn't do the trick, I would email customer service. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a switch gratis.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thirteen years later and this worked. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.