Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bald Eagles

These ones live just up the road from us.

We see bald eagles not uncommonly around here, mostly working over carrion along the road or in a field, or of course, just soaring over head.

Big change from back in the 1970s:

They are relatively common up here. My best story was in my boat, the wife and I had just exited the Goodpaster River onto the Tanana, headed home.

A bald eagle glided over from several hundred yards away and started circling the boat. Then I noticed he was circling my wife in the boat on specific. Ducked under a tree hanging out over the water and waited a few minutes for him to get bored and hunt elsewhere.

I just saw one out the window before I saw this thread. We are near a lake where some of the marinas keep open water near their docks (so they don't get smashed up from the ice). Between that and the ice fishermen (illegally) leaving fish on the lake, we have some eagles that stay year round.

When my Lab was a puppy, we had one drop down from the sky and fly about a dozen feet from the ground over the yard. I could have hit it with a tennis ball if I wanted to. My not-very-bright puppy started to chase after it. I was actually worried that the eagle was going to swoop her up and have her for lunch.

It is fascinating how much other birds hate eagles. It is fun to watch sparrows and other birds dive bomb them to keep them away from their nests. Once on Superior we saw an eagle snag a fish in front of a flock of seagulls. They were not happy and all attacked, quite the noise. The eagle did manage to get away.

If you are ever in Wabasha, MN (home of Grumpy Old Men), check out the National Eagle Center. It is quite an experience to stand a few feet away from those birds.

Blog Entries
    We have them around here. We also have osprey which look a lot like bald eagles.

Bald eagles are swimmers and will catch fish. Maybe there was a fish near your boat the eagle had his eye on Scott.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip. IMG_2391.jpgIMG_2301.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip. IMG_2391.jpgIMG_2301.jpg
    I went from having seen a total of 1-2 in my childhood, to working around Alaska's Kenai peninsula, and "Yeah, there's another one. Next." They are at times like sea gulls - just hordes of them. A remarkable comeback.

I have even seen them nesting on the White River in AR last year.

The numbers don't negate the imagery tho', your photo certainly captures the 'intensity' of their expression. (One I am proudest of is the drawing of the eagle sharpening it's talons, with the twin towers smoking in the background, "Gettin' Ready".)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 12-12-2020 at 9:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip.
    Here’s a few I took when I was working on Kodiak Island, Alaska.
    It was overwhelming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Here are a couple from our backyard. They like to sit in the dead pine. The younger one is slowly getting his color.
    . 31F1913B-AF6F-4A01-A691-340922A54037.jpeg0BBB40F6-3BFB-4F05-A9F0-5B8D1A526BB6.jpeg
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Just in from my niece in Alaska...

IMG_0561.jpg
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms