Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles

A guy on Facebook posted a photo of two bald eagles
    Turns out it was taken at my place from the road.
    Now to try and see them myself.
    How cool is that?

birds.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Great photo. We just visited the Loess Bluff Nat'l Wildlife Refuge today. Its on the Missouri River north of St Joseph. We counted 30 eagles, but never got close enough for a good photo. They were watching over the multi-thousands of snow geese that are migrating through.

I had one swoop over my car driving down the mountain here in the Catskills a while back. Amazing seeing one that close up.

years back at the Construct Canada show in Toronto walking down an isle the next booth had this guy sitting on the floor. I looked and had to decide at first if this was possible. I saw the rope attached to one leg and then there was some motion. Could have been closer but didnt want to take a chance in case he hadn't had breakfast that morning. I talked to the people and it was a baby rescued from a forest fire.

P1430245A.jpg

Who needs insert tooling when you come with a beak like this, no chip limiting either, work gets done fast.

P1430254A.jpg

Outside of the convention center got to talk to the lady for a bit.

P1430259A.jpg

What was wild was as she went up the escalator he started to have a bird. Im flying but im not flying??? started to flap his wings, wing span looked over four feet and powerful. She was a pro and had control but not easy, he chilled out. Eagle was the only one in the show not wearing a badge.

Only there one year. "Hi id like to get insurance, im taking a bird to the Construct show" "Okay has he killed anyone in the last six years?"

Each year in Toronto there are different birds at the Cottage Life Show but this was almost surreal.

Bald eagle with more feathers on his head than me.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-09-2020 at 2:11 AM.

Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird because eagles steal food from other birds. He admired the self
    reliance of turkeys and , probably preferred the taste of eagles.

We lived near a Bald Eagle nesting site at a previous home and often saw them flying over our fields hunting. They are amazingly large birds, even when you get used to seeing them. The various hawks that were a near constant presence, took a hiatus from hunting when the Eagles were flying.

Anybody who has worked near the Alaskan inside passage may have a different view of the Bald Eagle.

They're more like flying Racoons.

I got to see one up close at the Orlando Audubon Birds of Prey. I got within three feet when held by a handler. They are big with scary beak and talons.

If you are ever in Orlando, this is a great place to visit.

We have a pair that nests near us at Chippewa lake OH every year we see the little ones sticking their heads over the nest

We have a local nesting pair with a nest cam that Notre Dame operates. Link below. I've been able to watch them raise several broods of chicks over the last few years. We're fortunate to have a number of Eagles in the area and see them rather frequently. When I was a kid they were like unicorns.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFM...Sbi6EZQufkPLeA
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

There's a nesting site on the river about 30 miles from here. The TV stations give it good coverage and get some great shots.

I remember when bald eagles were on the endangered list and in serious trouble. Their comeback has been remarkable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We have nesting Bald Eagles on our place. I have a lot of Eagle stories. There are not a lot of them around here, but there are so many Ospreys that they're starting to become real nuisances.

That's really kewel, Dave! I hope you get to spot and observe them, too. The fact that there's a pair is a good thing.

The resurgence in the Bald Eagle population has been wonderful. They were on the brink, but have now recovered to the point that populations are expanding much farther than they were previously. It used to be an unusual or "never" thing to spot them in so many places and now it's becoming more and more commonplace, even away from larger bodies of water and rivers. They are just plain magnificent creatures!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just finished listening to a book written by Jeff Guidry, called An Eagle Named Freedom.

Wonderful book that was really touching in alot of ways.

We see eagles frequently here. Being only a few mile from The Mississippi river and a common "open water" winter spot they are quite abundant. While they are majestic they are a scavenger as well. I've encountered them on road kill from time to time. They eat where and when they can. It is cool to watch them swoop down on the open water and snag a fish out of the river though.