Thread: Airvantage Sander - anyone? I’m 75% liking mine

Airvantage Sander - anyone? I’m 75% liking mine

I did my research and upgraded from my ridgid 5” ROS to a Airvantage 5” electric, it’s the one with the external power supply.

I was getting into a rocking chair build for the wife and baby on the way and Hal Taylor recommended the Mirka Ceros that’s no longer shipped to the states. I didn’t want a 2 hand sander like a rotex and I needed to stay with 5” since the large amount of paper I got.

the Airvantage and mirka spin less RPMs than the ridgid which is making it tough for me to determine the upgrade if that makes sense. I guess doing a test on a piece of wood and time to sand it with same grit will tell me.

I can’t find the watts or amps the Airvantage. Mirka ceros is 300w motor but it’s also the AC to DC external supply like my Airvantage. The rotex has a 500w motor, no wonder it’s a 2 hand machine. Def want one of those some day.

I haven’t touched the sander in months with baby here and me now on paternity leave for 3 months.

the Airvantage and mirka spin less RPMs than the ridgid which is making it tough for me to determine the upgrade if that makes sense.

Why do you think the RPM's are a bellweather for whether or not the sander was an "upgrade"

I guess doing a test on a piece of wood and time to sand it with same grit will tell me.
    I suspect you are going to be disappointed if you're looking for fast stock removal. Smooooooth operation, light weight, and swirl mark free sanding are why one normally buys an expensive finish sander. If you want fast stock removal, then ya shoulda got a Rotex or Bosch GET75. Another , better, choice may have been a Ceros with the more aggressive 5mm orbit. Even that is still not an aggressive removal tool.

For a rocking chair < I would have got the 3x4 AV sander and a bunch of foam pad abrasives. That would make short work of all the spindles, slats, curves, seat and legs on a chair. I'm not sure how a 5" round ROS sander helps a whole lot on chairs except for a Reitveld design.

https://www.bauhaus2yourhouse.com/pr...BoChOgQAvD_BwE

I have a RO125 Rotex and the duel mode Bosch. The Bosch is great for rapid stock removal just like the Rotex. I will never go back to using a finish or box store sander. I have never had any issues with swirls. I do keep a $45 Porter Cable 382 or what ever their model is for final finishing sanding but mostly use my Rotex or Bosch. I will let you in on a little secret. (LoL not really a secret but I never see it discussed on here). There is a 6” Porter Cable sander that looks like a mini buffer with a side handle but it is a sander. That thing is a beast with rapid stock removal. I use and abuse mine all the time. It’s a direct drive sander and you can not stop the pad from spinning even if you press down really hard. Unlike the Mirka or Air Vantage. I would spend the $130 on the 6” Porter Cable and keep a cheap Porter Cable 382 for finish work. You should be able to get both the 6” PC and the 5” PC 382 for under $200 total. I changed out the pad for a Velcro hook and loop and purchased the dust port accessory for it. I believe that now Porter Cable makes that same 6” direct drive sander in a 5” as well.