Thread: Shop Vac Mod - Version 3

Blog Entries

Shop Vac Mod - Version 3

A half a dozen years ago I ditched the vac barrel and switched to a filter box. I ran the prototype ever since .

Ridgid Vac Mad v1 (8).jpg

I finally got around to building a version 3. The fixture will mount closer to the ground / dust bin so the vertical hose will be shorter. There will be a large hose reel mounted above but, for now it looks like this.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (25).jpg

I sucked up a gallon or so of random junk from the old shop vac barrel and the filter box looks like this

DD-Idea-ver-3 (26).jpg

Here's the gist of the structure.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (20).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-07-2020 at 5:37 PM.
    "The Danish government believes that if we train 5,000 designers, and produce
    one Hans Wegner, the money is very well spent." - Ole Gjerlov-Knudsen

Blog Entries
    Moved it to the planned height.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (27).jpg

Planned space for vac wands between filter box and wall.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (28).jpg

The filter access door has PVC caps screwed on to hold my most often used accessories.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (29).jpg . DD-Idea-ver-3 (30).jpg

The hose trailing off to the right will be a short, stiff, hose leading to a hose-reel that will mount above the filter box. Since I am in temporary digs I may not add that yet but . . . sometimes I get bored . . .

I lied. I went ahead and added it.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (31).jpg . DD-Idea-ver-3 (32).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-09-2020 at 9:22 PM.

The hose reel resembles one I saw being sold on the internet. Is there a place where I could just buy the swivel connector?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    The hose reel resembles one I saw being sold on the internet. Is there a place where I could just buy the swivel connector?
    Rockler and Peachtree both offer a few types of swivels. The one that comes with this Fast Cap product is shaped specifically to be captured between the reel and the reel holder but it would be easy enough to modify another type. I did the math on making my own and at the time I bought these I would’ve only saved about $35 (the price has jumped a bit and I may have gone the other way today) so I just went commercial. It would be a fairly simple build if you already have materials on hand.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-11-2021 at 1:51 AM.

I see some advantages here.

Primarily your shop vac runs on 110VAC, your floor is clean and you won't have to clean your shopvac filter as often as I do. Plus your shop vac and hoses are off the floor.

May I ask what power tools you are cleaning up after? I seem to be outrunning my shopvac in the dust production department.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I see some advantages here.

Primarily your shop vac runs on 110VAC, your floor is clean and you won't have to clean your shopvac filter as often as I do. Plus your shop vac and hoses are off the floor.

May I ask what power tools you are cleaning up after? I seem to be outrunning my shopvac in the dust production department.
    ROS, Routers, Jig Saws. I have a bleeder cuff (I have a thread on here somewhere about that) to keep the ROS from picking up smaller piece while sanding. This "vacuum reduction valve" also helps with the rather small opening on the Jig Saw dust port.

Shop Vac Bleeder (4).jpgShop Vac Bleeder (6).jpg