Thread: Grinder Station Refubish

Grinder Station Refubish

A long, long, time ago, in the dusty beginnings of my shop, I built a cabinet for my sharpening grinder to rest on. The cabinet was just fine. The mobility option was wonky because I "cheaped out" and used a surplus rack cabinet wheel unit on the back side that allowed me to rolly-drag it if it needed moved and then futz with some retractable feet to make the whole thing stable again. It was not the most thought out mobility solution. So as a project to do "while the glue and flocking dried" on some client holiday deliverables, I decided to fix this grinder station up so it was more easily mobile while at the same time actually putting a finish on it. Sometimes it's the little things...

So this was my starting point ... get that ugly thang off and then evaluate what comes next. And yes, I cleaned off a decade and a half's worth of dust and debris as part of the process. LOL

IMG_E8556.jpg

The double locking casters I picked up would require a flat surface and were about the same height as the weirdo "toe kick" I had on the bottom of the cabinet. So I removed that nasty construction using my track saw and a short track. And a hammer. You always use a hammer to whack nasty things into submission.

IMG_E8560.jpg IMG_E8561.jpg

That made for a flat bottom which I added an additional layer of plywood to provide more "meat" for lag screws to bite into and also adjust the height slightly so that the grinder remained at the desired level for comfortable work.

IMG_E8562.jpg

Casters went on and all the ugly fastener holes were filled followed by a quick sanding with 120 grit to fully clean and smooth the entire cabinet surface

IMG_E8563.jpg

Paint got the nod for an actual finish...grey HFS5000 primer left over from my kitchen upper cabinets done a couple of years ago followed by black paint to match the rest of the rolling cabinets in my shop. (other than the one my OSS lives in which I will be painting, too, when time allows.

IMG_E8564.jpg IMG_E8567.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Meanwhile"....

The top needed some cleaning up, too. A bit 'o sanding and a quick wipe with some Watco did a nice job for this. All of the sharpening hardware also got a good cleaning before things got reassembled. Before...and after...

IMG_E8565.jpg IMG_E8566.jpg

And then things get put back together...

IMG_E8570.jpg

And even more back together....

IMG_E8574.jpg

It's nice being able to easily roll this around so it can be quickly put in the most convenient place for use and then tucked away or moved when other operations take space priority. Most of the time, it will live here I suspect...

IMG_8579.jpg

The moral of this story is that sometimes it's nice to revisit something added to the shop long ago and make it better. Other than the cost of the casters, this was just a day's work including dry times for the finish. Oh, and it's clean. But that's fleeting for sure.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-06-2020 at 5:48 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...