Thread: A Really Simple Router Sled

A Really Simple Router Sled

I've made several disposable, job specific router sleds over the years, then dismantled them after the job was done. All of them have used wood runners that straddle the workpiece. As I contemplated building a new sled to flatten some slabs it occurred to me that there is no need for the rails if you have a flat bench that's wider than your workpiece. So I built this simple sled that rides directly on the edges of the workbench.

I sized the runners at 2-3/8" to clear my 2-1/4" thick slabs, and added side guides to keep the sled from slipping off the benchtop. It worked just as expected after I shimmed the workpiece steady on my workbench.

But I sure could use a dust/chip collection system to go with it, it makes a heck of a mess, so if anyone has devised one please pass it along.

John

Ha! One of those head slap moments. Good thinking John!

Re chip collection - I just bought the Oneida router chip collection but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Seems like it might fit if you turn the router 90*, if they support your router.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-07-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've made several disposable, job specific router sleds over the years, then dismantled them after the job was done. All of them have used wood runners that straddle the workpiece. As I contemplated building a new sled to flatten some slabs it occurred to me that there is no need for the rails if you have a flat bench that's wider than your workpiece. So I built this simple sled that rides directly on the edges of the workbench.

I sized the runners at 2-3/8" to clear my 2-1/4" thick slabs, and added side guides to keep the sled from slipping off the benchtop. It worked just as expected after I shimmed the workpiece steady on my workbench.

But I sure could use a dust/chip collection system to go with it, it makes a heck of a mess, so if anyone has devised one please pass it along.

John
    Wood magazine's router sled used a wider sub base under router with a DC port for vacuum hose. To enclose sides of cross member, they used conveyor brushing. Also enclosed the ends of router carriage with the same. Instead of conveyor brushing, try a brush bottom door sweep, which is commonly available, and cheaper. Good idea on using bench as rails for router sled.