Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tools for son

Pretty much the same story here. My son was 13 in 1985, back when Sears had a sale every week or so on tools. Over the course of a year I bought all the mechanics tools as they went on sale. Full socket sets in three sizes, wrenches in metric and SAE, screwdriver and nut driver sets, etc, etc.

By the time his birthday rolled around, he got a steel toolbox filled with everything he needed to work on most things. I got one of those vibrating engravers and put his initials on each piece. All bought at sale prices.

He is pushing 50 now, and still has most of the tools, except for some that were 'borrowed' when he worked in a boat shop.

We used them building a dune buggy when he was 15, and working on his cars from age 16.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-07-2020 at 2:47 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

First tool gift my Dad gave me was a nice Craftsman mechanic tool set. that was in 1973. I still have those tools and use them every week in my shop and vehicles. Back in the day, those tools were quality and meant something. Next, he gave me a Craftsman Sawmill circular saw. I still have that saw often. That saw is 45 years old and performs as well as any top branded tool I've had in my hand.
    I had three daughters and have gifted them small lots of hand tools over the years for small home improvement jobs. Mu oldest grandson always liked using my gerber multitool whenever he got a chance and once mentioned he'd love one for himself. Guess what's coming for Christmas this year? If, and when he gets a little older, I'll probably start him out with a good quality square, tape measure and set of mechanic tools, especially when he starts to drive.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Go for it. I began receiving Craftsman tools from my father in the late 60's. The combo wrenches and socket sets hang in my workshop to this day. Every time I reach for one, I think of my father and thank him for believing his "little girl" needed to own decent tools.

Consider adding a voltmeter.

Handy for troubleshooting, and an essential safety tool. A 4x6 soft rubber "Chef's mat" to catch dropped parts, slippery tools and to cut the chill if working on concrete.

Blog Entries
    Awesome posts everyone, thank you! I really liked hearing that so many have been on the giving and/or receiving side of this same sort of tradition.

(Also, Lisa... my daughter is just one grade younger and shows a strong interest in workshop related things... she'll be getting version 2 of this tradition next year.. girl power!!!!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My story is quite different.

My father was an architect and a boy scout. I grew up camping in the woods, learning about trees, making fires, tying knots, and using an ax. Dad gave me a love of wood and design, taught me joinery ... but he had no clue about tools. I grew up the one nominated to fix everything in the house, from cars to surfboards and construction. The years went by and I graduated from renovating houses to building furniture, and along the way of course purchased tools. I love tools

I was so keen to introduce my son to tools and their use. He had a tool belt like Norm’s when he was 3. When he turned 4 I purchased a car for us to restore. He had absolutely no interest in any of this. I did question his paternity.

Fortunately, he is going to marry this wonderful young lady who loves woodworking. I buy her tools!

Regards from Perth

Derek

When my daughter bought her first house, I got here a set of "around the house" tools. Mainly so she didn't "borrow" mine. I did include a cordless drill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    He had absolutely no interest in any of this. I did question his paternity.

Now that's a funny line right there
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I gave my son tools when he needed them but he's mostly bought his own as he needed them. He is MUCH more into working on cars than woodworking but does a significant amount of home improvement too. When my daughter moved to an apartment at college, I made her some furniture and also gave her a bag of basic tools from harbor freight. I did not know if she would use them but I wanted her to have some basic stuff so I wouldn't have to carry everything with me when visiting and something needed fixed. So she got a set of pliers and screw drivers, a hammer, a tape measure, a five in one tool and maybe some other stuff. It has worked well but last time I was at her house visiting her, her husband and two of my three grandkids she asked for a better screwdriver. So I bought her a Milwaukee multi-tip ratcheting screwdriver I use at home. She says she uses the tools more than her husband but he has a few more but really isn't much into doing stuff, at least by himself. He has at least one friend who is much handier and knows an Amish man who works pretty cheap.

I think the suggestion of thinking about cars for a boy is a good one. It is something I probably should have done for my son. Depends on what they like to do. I carry HF sockets and wrenches in my BMW so I would think of them but especially at Christmas there are great sales from other companies. I have a lot of gear wrench stuff and most of it has been great.

When I was about 8 or 10 my grandfather gave me an old tool box with a couple of rubber mallets, a pair of slip joint pliers, a 1/4" drive socket set, a tape measure, a set of 8 screwdrivers, and probably a few other things that I don't recall. I still use the pliers almost daily, they are no-name but have held up remarkably well, and I have the other tools except the the tape measure which finally wore out. When I was 14 and 15 I used to go to do work for a man in our church who had post-polio and needed help with house repair and yard work, and he always paid me in tools, or money to buy tools, and taught me a lot about how to use all kinds of tools and how to repair things. I had only used a power drill when I began going to his house, but in a little more than a year before we moved away I learned to use almost every kind of power saw and an electric chain saw, how to drive screws with a power drill and many other things. He called it "The Philbrook School of Sawsmanship". I am very grateful for that early training, it helped me a lot with things that came up later, and he was a very patient teacher. He couldn't do the things he had done all his life anymore, but he could still teach them. One thing I never learned from him was not to set tools on the ground. He would always say "Don't put it in the DIRT, Zach" but I usually forgot pretty fast.

One thing that I would add that I don't see mentioned yet is a flashlight, or even better a head lamp that runs on AA batteries. It is really handy to have when you are doing home repairs and need to see while also holding one or more tools in your hands.

For pliers, I am partial to knipex. I think the 5 or 6 inch pliers are a great all round size and fairly inexpensive (I have a good sized set from 5 to 16 inches now, and I hope I never need the 22 inch version!).

Some other items I like to have on hand for household tasks are a small variety set of screws, both pan head and flat top, and some small nails. You can usually find these in those clamshell packs.

A hacksaw can also save the day when it is all that is available to you, same with a utility knife!

Great stories everyone! I think as a dad this topic hits at the root of the why do we do things. We have a passion for the work and enjoy it. Who doesn't want to see their kids follow in their footsteps? My dad had a woodshop and when laid off from construction each winter would go to work. That must have been the kindling for me as I have taken his mantle and moved from dad's pine cracker barrel type projects to the period stuff I enjoy. This year my son is getting my set of Stanley Sweetheart 750's. Better toss in some bandaids, they are were sharpened and I never use them.

Enjoy the topic all, keep them coming!

Chris

Zachary , that's a good story. I picture your Grampa as being like Will Geer, in THE REIVERS. While you would be the
    grand son and a pal to Steve Mc Queen. That ain't all bad !

This is a great thread. I agree with Jim Becker back on page one to start with a small tool box with basic stuff that can fit in a dorm room at college in a few years and do useful thigns like hang pictures on the wall, tighten door knobs, that sort of thing. Channel locks and a small level, check, Lowes-Depot will be adequate quality for starting out. I do still have a Nicholson "Four in Hand" rasp/file combo that my stepfather gave me when I was seven, and a basic issue Swiss Army knife my dad gave me when I was ten. They both live in the top drawer of my tool chest where I can usually reach them with my eyes closed.

From there it is really about the experience. If the boy gets into cars, you'll be buying ratchet sets next. If he gets into surf boards, different tools. This year when you have stuff around the house to do, tell him to go get his tool box and do things together. You will want the smaller than standard/regular flat screwdriver so you can clock all the screws on the light switch and receptacle covers if you are into that sort of thing. I personally only clock the cover screws after I have had the box behind open and know the wiring in there is correct.

Head lamp was a brilliant suggestion.

One item that would blow your budget this year and not fit in his dorm room would be the bottom section of a stack on tool chest. A bunch of drawers to hold his growing collection of tools, and a small work surface above. When you get there, get the widest one you can fit in the garage. There were many tears when my youngest loaded up her welding tools to go away to welding inspector school, but they were good tears.

No matter what else you make with your son, make memories.

I am in favor of a voltmeter in the wee box, 8-10 dollars from Horrid Fright. Also, not in the tool box, exposure to the other trades. Household plumbing is my kryptonite, I just don't do it with any tool other than my VISA card. At the end of the day it might have been watching the plumber do something I "can't" (do not want to) do that got my youngest interested in metal working. Electrical and framing and door hanging and drywall and plaster and paint I feel good about, but I hire plumbers.

I was thinking about a standalone outlet checker for a bit, but an entry level volt/ohm meter is more versatile. If there is any interest there, soldering iron and some mail order kits. A fella that can break open a toaster or a mixer or a hairdryer and either fix it or administer last rights will always have people to talk to. Handy for car stereo installs too.

Small engine repair interest maybe? Different tools going forward, but a super handy skill set.

I am getting ideas from this thread to be a better grandpa someday...