Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tools for son

Blog Entries
    This thread has been really fun to follow! I really appreciate all the great ideas and stories! :-)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I am in favor of a voltmeter in the wee box, 8-10 dollars from Horrid Fright. Also, not in the tool box, exposure to the other trades. Household plumbing is my kryptonite, I just don't do it with any tool other than my VISA card. At the end of the day it might have been watching the plumber do something I "can't" (do not want to) do that got my youngest interested in metal working. Electrical and framing and door hanging and drywall and plaster and paint I feel good about, but I hire plumbers.

I was thinking about a standalone outlet checker for a bit, but an entry level volt/ohm meter is more versatile. If there is any interest there, soldering iron and some mail order kits. A fella that can break open a toaster or a mixer or a hairdryer and either fix it or administer last rights will always have people to talk to. Handy for car stereo..
    A poor quality multimeter is arguably worse than no multimeter at all. Because if it’s wrong, and it may randomly be, someone could get killed. The minimum IMO would be one of the Klein’s from the BORG, less than a hundred bucks, although the benchmark is the Fluke 117 (around 180.)

I’d add to this a Knipex pliers wrench, a Knipex Cobra, and a decent set of screwdrivers. The Knipex’s are lifetime tools, BTW.

How about a carpenter's brace for utility with educational value? With all the interchangeable bits available, it's the ultimate screwdriver, no batteries required. It's also a heck of a lot better drill than one of those egg beaters that should never have been invented if you can find appropriate bits - which you often can at yard sales. I still use one occasionally - most recently with an old auger bit and extension to drill starter holes in hard dirt for a small electric fence. A push drill is also convenient and useful.

I'm currently getting good use out of a BtMeter BT-770N multimeter for about $35 from Amazon and it's more than adequate. Re Harbor Freight: sometimes when quality is expensive and things are easily broken, there's educational value in having less than the best. He doesn't really need a good one now and he'll appreciate it more later.

I grew up with my dad taking the families cars to the auto repair shop. I recalled thinking when I moved out to go to college that I needed a "tool kit", so I bought the always necessary Craftsman tool set in metal box with SAE/Metric sockets, etc. It was about $600 worth in today's costs. I've used it in the last 30 years a few dozen times. The first oil change, but then it was too messy. The car light came on, but then it went to the shop to diagnose the computer, etc.

However, I swiped a few tools from my dad's excess. I still treasure the leather handled rust bucket hammer that I got. An old "L" framing square. That was because I saw them being used by my dad and when he taught me how to nail two pieces of wood together, that was the hammer I was given. I cut my hand once playing with his hand plane, running my fingers across the mouth in the wrong direction.

When I got my first house 25 years ago, I found that none of my socket set was worth much. I got a tape measure, cordless drill, circular saw and sander. The real tools that my dad gave me were the knowledge of how to hammer two boards together, saw a board in two to a line and measure twice, but cut once. My dad passed this last Christmas, but every time I pick up his hammer, I remember his loving tools of knowledge.

My daughter loves the photos of herself using my Lie Nielsens when she was a kid. Every time she goes into my shop now (at 23) and there's fresh sawdust, she remarks on the smells and how it brings back fond memories.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    I grew up with my dad taking the families cars to the auto repair shop. I recalled thinking when I moved out to go to college that I needed a "tool kit", so I bought the always necessary Craftsman tool set in metal box with SAE/Metric sockets, etc. It was about $600 worth in today's costs. I've used it in the last 30 years a few dozen times. The first oil change, but then it was too messy. The car light came on, but then it went to the shop to diagnose the computer, etc.

However, I swiped a few tools from my dad's excess. I still treasure the leather handled rust bucket hammer that I got. An old "L" framing square. That was because I saw them being used by my dad and when he taught me how to nail two pieces of wood together, that was the hammer I was given. I cut my hand once playing with his hand plane, running my fingers across the mouth in the wrong direction.

When I got my first house 25 years ago, I found that none of my socket set was worth much. I got a tape measure, cordless drill, circular saw and sander. The real tools that my dad gave me were the knowledge of how to hammer two boards together, saw a board in two to a line and measure twice, but cut once. My dad passed this last Christmas, but every time I pick up his hammer, I remember his loving tools of knowledge.

My daughter loves the photos of herself using my Lie Nielsens when she was a kid. Every time she goes into my shop now (at 23) and there's fresh sawdust, she remarks on the smells and how it brings back fond memories.

Thanks for sharing Rod, really enjoyed reading that. And, it's funny how sense of smell is a memory trigger... totally agree with your daughter on that one.
    - Bob R.

My dad did this for me. It's really a big deal, and helped me get started as an auto tech. +1 on the old tools meaning a lot. I tend to think about my family every time I pick one up. I think about Grandpa Meikamp every time I use his Snap-on t-handle even though I never met him.

Blog Entries
    Got my shopping done yesterday!

I went with a Rockler "joinery" tool bag that looked especially useful based on how I like to use tools.

For filling it, I went nearly entirely Craftsman because I thought it was neat that my boy's new tools are "twins" to so many of my old ones. Socket set, hammer, screw driver set, crescent wrench, needle nose, torpedo level, two tape measures, box cutter, combo square, allen wrenches, a couple things I'm forgetting.

I'll sprinkle in a few "antiques" for good measure.

All in, I hit my desired budget and I think he'll be in a great place to start working on a variety of projects using his own tools.

(and, another sentimental dad at the store commented... "you must have a son... proud moment ain't it?" :-) Next year, I'll be just as proud to repeat for my daughter, but I was impressed that he could tell exactly what I was doing)
    - Bob R.

I don’t really remember what my dad bought me when I bought my house 10yrs ago, but I have a vague idea it was the Stanley hammer, level, handful of tape measures, framing square, and a couple other entry level diy tools. Still have and use them, and have added an army of tools to go with it.
    What I do remember like it was yesterday is 20 yrs ago entering vocational school for auto repair and my dad buying me a basic tool kit with craftsman sockets wrenches, Ingersol impacts and air ratchets, ect. When I graduated high school and got a repair job it just timed out perfect he upgrade toolboxes, and gave me his old Snap On tool box as a graduation gift. (He had several through his garage but this was the main one)
    Had that thing for like 3 years before I outgrew it, and I still remember him telling me he’d kick my ass for not trading it in on my new tool box, especially after what he found out they would give me for it (it’s a 30yr old piece of junk, he said. Take that money and run)
    Still have most of all those original tools In some capacity, except the tool box. Most of the tools have graduated to my home tool box and I’ve upgraded to snap on for work- man, the memories this post triggered.

Glad you were able to pick up a setup for your son and I'm also happy you'll be doing the same for your daughter! That's a mighty fine holiday gift for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10. tools the gift that keeps on giving...
    I've got tools that were my grandfathers and I'm 65. started buying tools for my son many years ago and is well set with mechanics tools. first ones were craftsman but as they played the Chinese price point game switched over to Tekton for both of us. they have a nice feel, HQ is in US but sourced world wide, good quality. now its on to carpenter tools for him as it is house hunting time and I like MY tools even though he is very careful and respectful of my stuff. I did give him a hammer that was his great grandfather's that I made a new handle for. that went straight to his room on a shelf just to be admired