Thread: Moving a 4’x8’ CNC isn’t easy

Blog Entries

Moving a 4’x8’ CNC isn’t easy

Our shop just got a new Laguna 4x8 CNC. I want to share with anyone considering this that it isn’t easy to get into your shop. You will need a forklift with fork extensions- the longer the better.

Surprise number one for me was the pallet is 7’x12’, and my truck bed with stakes installed is 7’1”. I could have removed the stakes, but I really wanted the security of having the stakes in place. The pallet was one layer of chipboard on top of 4x4 stringers with crossmembers. It was very scary how the pallet was bending, and to get it off the truck I decided not to use the pallet. This photo was at Tropical Shipping when we were picking up the machine from the shipper. Note: the front rails on this truck are welded into place- not sure who did that or why- so side lifting wasn’t an option, or so I thought. In hind sight we should have side lifted it with the back three stakes removed, and then slid it up between the fron ones that can’t be removed. I had assumed Tropical had long enough fork extensions for lifting it longways. I did not see the pallet bending until we were at the truck. So- FYI- it is not good to try to lift this thing longways unless you have at least 10’ and preferably 12’ forks.

D8E71310-B9C2-4AAA-944D-8A861B4356DA.jpg ED433DF1-AE27-4B10-B742-F998EA7EDA5F.jpg

I decided to back the truck into the shop (the wood shop is a pole building open on one end.). The laser/CNC shop has an 8’ door into the wood shop. We took the stakes off the truck and lifted the CNC from the side and set it down on blocks so we could get 4x4 crossmembers in order to lift the machine longways off the truck. So the pallet at this point stayed in the truck and the CNC was lifted off the pallet, the truck was driven out from under it, and from there, wood beams were used to lift the CNC. This allowed us to lift the wood beams with the forks, and the beams rested on the rails of the CNC. I strapped the CNC to the forks to prevent tipping as a safety measure. I also moved the controller up towards the forklift for weight distribution.

I was focused on doing this safely and few photos were taken. Second photo shows wood beams being put in place. The one on top of the machine would be moved under it and beams rest between the forks and the machine. Photo taken as we were still placing beams.

91027D9E-906B-48C0-ABBA-A887BD1B4740.jpg 93439EF8-4D22-4E8A-BD23-11F5867ED027.jpg

This got really scary for the next part, because I had to lift the machine over the table saw and thread it between two posts 10’ apart while making a turn. No photos were taken. The saw protruded 2’ into that 10’ gap. I did not want to dismantle the whole saw and outfeed tables to do this, and we decided at the angle we needed to come in, I could lift the machine over the saw and squeeze the forklift through the gap. The wheels literally touched the outfeed table as we squeezed through, but it worked.

From there it was a straight shot into the laser room.
    8F39C6ED-990E-493B-B880-A269C8705B3B.jpg

I made casters out of two layers of 3/4” Baltic Birch ply and 1” greenheart around the edges to keep them from sliding out from under the legs. Five wheels per caster were used: one at each corner, and one in the middle. I set the machine on the casters and we rolled it into position in the laser shop. We already have two 4x4 CNC machines, two 2x4 lasers, a 2x3 CNC, and a 2x3 laser all in this 30x40 shop, plus a mill and two lathes. Safe to say it is tight in that shop.

C057B117-F902-49E2-B202-2E59A357B763.jpg 54BE439B-1456-4361-BF8E-75F600710A01.jpg

Once in place, floor jacks were used to lift it off the casters and set it down. Photo shows it still on casters.

363A4107-FB08-437F-9DB3-1CD2258D8D97.jpg

So, for the guy considering one of these machines, you need a forklift with long forks, and you really need to plan this out before you make the move. If your shop doors are less than 10’ wide, you will have to lift the machine longways, and the only rails going across the machine are front and rear, so plan on using supports across the machine like we did. Get a flatbed truck or trailer capable of carrying 7’x12’. The skates idea worked beautifully. I should have used one size larger casters. That was all I could find locally in the quantity I needed. You need two locking casters on each skate and all casters need to swivel.

Why not a pallet jack? We had limited space to make the turns needed to get it into place. A very long pallet jack sideways or one at each end longways with enough space to maneuver might work, but I actually liked our skates so we could roll it around, spin it, and get it right where we wanted it. If you had a flat concrete space outside and a smooth transition into the shop. You might be able to roll it in with pallet jacks. We had a step up into the laser shop, and the wood shop has rough asphalt floors. Yes, it used to be a parking lot- still has yellow parking spaces painted on it. We make do with what we have!

We also got a 2x3 CNC and it weighs 480 pounds. Don’t assume you can lift that thing either with a few of your friends unless they are well-built friends!

Congrats on that nice machine moving into your shop!

It's very true that you need long forks for moving equipment like this if you are going to use a forklift and the machine needs to be stout enough to balance all that weight out there in space, too. Using the small dollies is a very common way to move machines like this physically into place. HFT has sold a lot of those small, inexpensive dollie to folks doing it! I had my machine delivered the "last mile" via a roll-back and it was dropped right in front of my shop doors. I used materials from the crate to construct a short ramp to the shop floor so I could roll it through the doors and into place. A forklift wasn't a possibility for my shop nor was even picking it up at the LTL freight terminal which was 2.5 hours away.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That thing was definitely lightly crated to say the least but thats kinda typical of laguna. Scary with a machine that exposed through shipping.

Nice work getting it off. I've mentioned the same here before renting a forklift makes the task very easy. We had to pick our 4x8 (shop sabre) off the truck long ways and it was literally sitting in the shop in less than 15 minutes. The lift makes all the difference if you have access to rent one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That thing was definitely lightly crated to say the least but thats kinda typical of laguna. Scary with a machine that exposed through shipping.

Nice work getting it off. I've mentioned the same here before renting a forklift makes the task very easy. We had to pick our 4x8 (shop sabre) off the truck long ways and it was literally sitting in the shop in less than 15 minutes. The lift makes all the difference if you have access to rent one.
    We have the luxury of being literally next door to the forklift rental place. It really comes in handy. We have our own telehandler, but it was too big for the tight quarters of the shop.

Any idea what the shipping premium to the island was over typical mainland shipping? I'm just curious because you're in a unique local compared to most of us.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Any idea what the shipping premium to the island was over typical mainland shipping? I'm just curious because you're in a unique local compared to most of us.
    It was just over $2200, but that included insurance for $20k. That was just the boat from Miami to St. Thomas. That’s actually just a bit more than I usually pay to ship a car, but I don’t insure cars for that value. I am usually shipping some sort of thing I bought on e-Bay to restore.

Ching...ching...!!!! And folks get all teary eyed about shipping cost on the mainland. LOL Sheesh...
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ching...ching...!!!! And folks get all teary eyed about shipping cost on the mainland. LOL Sheesh...
    After a while, you just accept it. Ocean is the cheapest means of transportation in the world, but we are a captive audience, and also they have to pay for round trip. We don’t send much stuff back.

I remember moving my 4x8. I picked it up in Chicago and after it was loaded onto the trailer I had no help. Luckily, I rented a flatbed trailer so that I could get it from the side. The forklift was about 1" too tall to fit into my garage door so had to set it down on 4 harbor freight furniture dollies and muscle it inside and into place by myself. I was lucky in that I didn't have to move it over or around other tools. Nothing more nerve wrecking than using a forklift for the first time to pickup and move such a large beast. It helped that the importer had planned ahead and had 2 supports on the side for the forks to slide into. If anyone ever orders one, have them put the tunes in and it will help a ton.

Impressive move ... the “pucker factor” in moving large, expensive machinery is not to be underestimated. The relief when it is finally and safely in place is one of the best feelings!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Impressive move ... the “pucker factor” in moving large, expensive machinery is not to be underestimated. The relief when it is finally and safely in place is one of the best feelings!
    This may be TMI, but my glutes are stronger today after making that tight turn with 2500 pounds hanging over the table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This may be TMI, but my glutes are stronger today after making that tight turn with 2500 pounds hanging over the table saw.
    I have zero doubt about that! "Vawwy Scawwy"
    --

Blog Entries
    Yesterday a shipment of lumber came in and it was cheaper than the machine to ship, so we are questioning the charges. The lumber was $1500 shipping for 900bft 8/4 mahogany (14’ lengths), 400bft 4/4 mahogany, 500bft 4/4 maple, 400bft 4/4 cedar, 30 sheets 18mm Baltic birch, 10 sheets 12mm Baltic birch, and a lift of 2x6 PT pine. 7800 pounds- more than twice the weight of the machine, but the machine was not stackable, so I suspect they hit me with extra cube charge for that.

There's also the insurance factor in the shipping costs for the CNC machine that are likely different than the lumber and sheet goods.
    --

If its anything like US freight classifications your numbers would swing wildly but the stackable would likley be an issue. I'd imagine any insurance is either with you, or the shipper, so insurance would be well known ahead of time.