Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas # 1 BU plane

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    As a business owner myself, I can say I empathize with lee valley. As a consumer, it’s easy to be an expert because we all believe the customer comes first and our own cursory understanding of what it takes to run a business makes us experts in criticizing the lack of change.

But unless ownership or staff or philosophy has changed (none has happened) we’d do better to give that company (and lie Nielsen) a break. How many hundreds of times has lv gone the extra mile or you get a personal message from the owner? This has happened to me alone probably 5 times.

These guys are in a tough business and covid certainly hasn’t helped.

No harm in being an involved, constructively criticizing customer. Just have a little patience. Maybe not for every company, but at least lv and ln.
    Hi Prashun -

Thanks for that. Everyday is new adventure in some twist in the course of this pandemic. It's business whack-a-mole......

We have a "stand-up" meeting every morning to go over what's changed - every weekday now (used to be weekends too).... there's always something new to adapt to.

The possibility of imminent shutdown in any area of the business keeps us on our toes (and at at our computers). I already have feedback from one Director level staff member on this thread.... and she should be enjoying a day off....(you know who you are).

Cheers -

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 12-06-2020 at 11:38 AM.

We get it Rob. Hang in there!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Couple off topic thoughts. LV is built on customer service, and their website interface is an important part of our customer experience. From things he's said, I think Rob Lee gets that. I definitely got the impression the new site was built by someone outside LV, which may reduce their options in a pandemic. Plus, the old site we knew and liked had 20 years of tuning and tweaking - a wholesale system replacement may not catch up with that in 18 mos in this crazy environment.

I don't know if this helps, but I've found it is often faster to use the search function to find what I need - if I know what that is and I'm not just browsing.

Fred

I'm in LE and we had a computerized report writing system that was kind of home grown. By the end of it's life cycle, I heard they added a million lines of code. Every time something got fixed something else would break. On one occasion, I um heard (can neither confirm nor deny) that the Victim's social security number was printing in the 9 digit zip code field. At some point you have to choose to abandon the boat and jump on another one. Often that comes at a cost , in that, it's like an old car....it's sometimes more comforting to know what the problems are then to buy another car where everything is going to be a surprise. I'm sure nothing can happen quickly in this environment.

Also, to OP, there are showing that plane with PM-V11 as "available".

Wow! Talk about a thread going sideways! I just said I was not sure why but I wanted that cute little plane. I thought that perhaps it would engender some discussion about sub-normal sized planes.

Rob Lee, please accept my apology. It was not my intent to turn this into an LV bashing party.

Having spent the last years of my career designing and coding portions of a sizable MRP/Customer Service system, I am well aware of the dangers of new system implementation. There us an old ditty ---

99 bugs on the wall,
    99 bugs on the wall,
    take one down, patch it around
    127 bugs on the wall

The holy grail of software engineering is to deliver probably correct software, on time, on budget. Hasn't been done yet.

We all know the system, as it is now, is sub-optimal. I think we all also know that you will fix things just as fast as the pandemic and the economies will permit. We are just as children, frustrated because we want it all now.

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you and yours ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Wow! Talk about a thread going sideways! I just said I was not sure why but I wanted that cute little plane. I thought that perhaps it would engender some discussion about sub-normal sized planes.

Rob Lee, please accept my apology. It was not my intent to turn this into an LV bashing party.
    [edited]
    I should also add my apology to all, especially Curt and Rob for going off track.

Back to the begining:

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I want one! Very unsure why, I just do
    Curt, they are handy for working in small places or on small items.

Most recently mine was used where a larger plane would have been awkward:

Planing the Saw Marks d2.jpg

At 5-1/2" long with a 1-1/4" wide blade the plane is actually smaller than many block planes. An added bonus is it has a chip breaker which would not be the case with a bevel up plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’ll add my name to the list of people who found the old site much easier to navigate. I typically find things by going through the structures of tool categories and sub-categories. I find myself using the search function more often on the new site because the categories are more difficult to dig through. I think the new site has gotten easier to use (maybe I’ve gotten more used to it, maybe you’ve improved it? I don’t pay close attention to the details.)

I fully understand that sometimes these wholesale replacement projects are necessary, and sometimes they have to go through growing pains. I’ve always appreciated your customer service and I’m sure you’ll work out the kinks in time.

Drill bits! That was the category I was trying to remember. On the old site you had sub-categories for specific types of bits. On the new one all that stuff us under drilling. You either need to scroll through everything or use the search function if you are looking for a specific type of drill bit.

I want one of the Veritas #1s, now that I know they exist. Very cool!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.