Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD advice for Clausing 1671 drill press

VFD advice for Clausing 1671 drill press

I got this drill press back in the summer from an online auction of the contents of a school, and when I went to pick it up I found that it was 3 phase. I didn't feel like I had time then to figure it out, but now that winter is here and the outdoor work has declined I am ready to get this going and will be very grateful for any advice. Some helpful folks on here told me back then that I could get a 115V VFD that would run a 1 HP 3 phase motor, and that was a great relief. I have found a couple of candidates for a VFD at Surplus Center that seem to be the right kind to my uneducated mind, but I am not sure if I understand all the parameters. I'll put in links to both, I hope that is allowed. One is a Regal-Beloit for $100

https://www.surpluscenter.com/New-Ar...ut-11-3681.axd

and the other is a Teco-Westinghouse for $159.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...-U-11-3607.axd

Possibly neither of these is appropriate, in which case I would appreciate a recommendation for a suitable model. From what I can see the TECO has more controls, and a built in fan, but I don't know how significant either of those may be. I found a wiring diagram in the junction box hanging off the motor, and will include a picture of that as well as of the motor. Is there anything else I'll need besides the VFD itself to hook things together? I have spare cords and may buy an extra just to have on hand, and I have wire nuts and solder and crimp on connectors, but if there is anything else I should buy I'd like to know so I can get everything I will need. I am also wondering how the VFD is best attached to the drill press, I was thinking of a metal plate which I could secure to the two motor bolts on one side, but I am wondering if it needs to be enclosed.

Having brought the drill press in from the unheated building and looked it over I am very pleased so far. All of the levers seem to work, including the spindle lock which i have never had one of before and don't know what to do with. I was able to raise the head up to the top of the pipe, which makes the drill chuck a couple of inches higher off the floor than the Jet I have been using for the last 17 years. I had to use a piece of ash to lever the head up the pipe, but it moved pretty easily aside from the weight. The table is in rough shape but I expect I'll be putting some kind of wooden cover on it anyway most of the time. I am very thankful for all of the helpful advice people have taken time to give me over the years when I've asked questions here.

1148B828-A614-4162-B8A7-88E0B153E13B.jpg1912E54B-30FC-4865-BD27-89FC1A21F387.jpg7365328D-FBC2-465B-A6FB-FB2B0313CB0B.jpg

I’d get this:
    https://www.factorymation.com/TD200-2001-1PH

220V single in, 3phase 220 out. Customer service is great as well.

Thank you for the recommendation. I would prefer to have 115v input, as I would have to install a suitable breaker and a new circuit to run the drill press on 230, and I am planning to move in a year or 18 months. I don't know if I'll be using an existing space when I move or building a new shop, but I think I'd rather have the convenience of being able to plug in anywhere, unless there's a very compelling reason in the other direction.

This seems to be the same series but with a 115v input. Would this be a suitable alternative to the one in your link? Thank you very much.

I have the same press with a 1.5HP 2 speed. Had a single phase VFD around but decided to go 220 input. I can see your reasoning, we do what we have to do. That drill press is hard to push to its max anyway.
    One word of caution. Coming from a Jet you may be used to a lack of power and possibly a belt slipping. That will not happen with the Clausing so make sure you have anything questionable clamped securely, if it catches it will not stop. I love mine, one of those tools I put off upgrading because the one I had did the job. Wished I had upgraded years earlier.

Looking at the pictures you have the next smaller one and may be able to replace the motor with a single phase for not much more than a VFD. I believe that to be a replacement motor on there. The ones like mine have a proprietary motor that would be hard to replace, but you can probably do that. Just a thought.

One caution about a 115 volt VFD: the process puts a little ripple on the line, sufficient to fool a GFI. I have a State spindle sander with a 115 VFD, and it is certainly true of it: pops the GFI within 3 seconds, every time. There is no short. An internet search showed that the problem is common. I happen to have one outlet in the ceiling that isn't on a VFD (for a garage door opener) and ran an extension cord to it. (I won't claim this is true for every 115V VFD)

Terry T.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Looking at the pictures you have the next smaller one and may be able to replace the motor with a single phase for not much more than a VFD. I believe that to be a replacement motor on there. The ones like mine have a proprietary motor that would be hard to replace, but you can probably do that. Just a thought.
    +1. That Dayton motor (sold by Grainger) is a replacement. You could likely buy a single phase 1HP motor for less than a VFD, and avoid the hassle of adding the VFD (needing to rewire the original switch, needing to build and mount an enclosure for the VFD, needing to program the VFD, etc). Since that drill press has a variable speed drive, you likely aren't going to use the VFD for speed control.

Just a random 1hp 1725rpm single phase motor I found in 10 seconds on ebay (no affiliation): https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HP-MOTOR-...MAAOSw53FflxWJ

I would keep the three phase motor and install the vfd. for the advantages beyond just the variable speed. Dynamic braking, fast reverse, slow start etc. You can use the original switch to control the vfd, just use the vfd onboard switches , or add more switches were ever you like.
    Bil lD

YouTube is your friend when it comes to programming the VFD. I have a WEG VFD connected to my Powermatic 1150 and there were a number of videos online showing how to wire and program the VFD such as the one linked below that were extremely helpful in getting started. I would search around and see if you can one for the VFDs you are interested in.

https://youtu.be/SOxNjsuUrZA
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I went ahead and ordered a FactoryMation 115v VFD, when it comes I'll start figuring out how to hook it up. My plan is to mostly run the motor at one speed and use the Reeves drive to change speeds, but when I occasionally need to go below 500 rpm to drill steel or run a reamer to fit bridge pins in a guitar I can use the VFD to get that lower end speed. The one I have been using goes down to 200 and that seems good for anything I've needed to do so far, and I should be able to run the motor slow enough to make that possible. I don't run the drill press for long at a time, so I'm not too worried about overheating the motor. Thank you all for your advice.

Just keep in mind not to slow that motor to less than about 50% if you will be putting a heavy load on it at the slower speed. Slowing an induction motor also slows it's fan and if heavily loaded at significantly slow speeds, it can overheat the motor. Slow the Reeves drive and then slow the motor VFD if you still want to drill slower than that, but keep the motor speed at 50% or better. Motors designed to run at slow speeds have an auxiliary motor running the cooling fan to keep the main motor cool, even if it's turning very slow, and your motor doesn't have this.

Charley

Thanks, that's helpful. I've read some differing opinions on low speed operation, but I plan to play it safe. If I run the motor at half speed the low end will be 250 RPM or so, and that should be fine for what I need. Reaming bridge pin holes is a very light load, and I don't have to drill large holes (over 3/8") in steel more than once a year on average, and then usually just one or two holes.

The START switch should be wired to aux contacts in the VFD. Do not switch the power to the VFD or in the feed from the VFD to the motor.

OTOH you may want to install an ISOLATION switch in the power feed to the motor for powering it off when leaving the shop. My first VFD got fried by lightning so I installed a DPDT switch to cut both legs. I have a foot switch (on my table saw) which is great and the ISOLATION switch is handy for safety as well.

You can set up the VFD for a 1 second stop without need for an aux resistor. The quick stopping is handy. 2 or 3 seconds to start is nice also.

Thanks for the advice, I had been wondering if I should wire the old switch in at all or just use the buttons on the VFD to start and stop. I've got the VFD now and have done some reading in the book, it's a little over my head but I think I should be able to figure it out. The DPDT switch is a nice idea, did you mount it on a separate box below the VFD or inline on the power cord? My plan is to figure out the VFD wiring and programming and get to the point where I can make the motor run, and then I'll have to look into the belt for the Reeves drive and see if I need a new belt, or if I need to move the motor further back with more or longer spacers to get the belt tight. The good thing is that I don't have to have this drill press operational for a few months at least, but I'd like to get it going this month if I can, just to know that it will be ready when the time comes.