Thread: Delta 28-276 help (Bandsaw)

Delta 28-276 help (Bandsaw)

So I'm new to bandsaws and had been looking around for a cheap 14inch band saw ended up buying a delta 28-276 for 150 bucks that i thought was in good shape. After getting home and got started messing around with i noticed the bottom wheel was bent pretty bad. Iv been having trouble finding a new wheel most places that sell them its like 45 to 60 day wait. Does anyone know what other models or clones the parts would be interchangeable with this model?

Search for this on Ebay:

"Delta Lower Wheel 905169"

There's one available from a private individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh turner View Post
    So I'm new to bandsaws and had been looking around for a cheap 14inch band saw ended up buying a delta 28-276 for 150 bucks that i thought was in good shape. After getting home and got started messing around with i noticed the bottom wheel was bent pretty bad. Iv been having trouble finding a new wheel most places that sell them its like 45 to 60 day wait. Does anyone know what other models or clones the parts would be interchangeable with this model?

When you say bent, do you mean out of round, or wobbles front to back? If it's the later, you could possibly force it back into plane by using a technique they use to straighten aluminum wheels. With wheel turning, apply pressure with a roller to outer rim of wheel. This pressure is more than hand pressure, so you would have to figure out some kind of press assembly. A motorcycle shop might be able to do this.

Front to back but it is quite a bit probably 3/16th of a inch

Just a thought, check the bearing to make sure it is not so badly worn that it causes the wobble. That is a normal wear point. A bent wheel would be caused by something abnormal, like an improper attempt at removal.

I think Jon is on to something here. A new bearing will only cost $10 or so. Is there any play if you grab the wheel with both hands and try to move it back and forth ?Any vibration or noise ?

No the bearings are good I checked them first ,I also checked the shaft to make sure it wasn't bent there's no play in the wheel when you try and move it back and forth. When you take the wheel off and lay it on a flat table you can see how badly its bent one side almost touches the table while the other side is higher up off idk how to post pictures on here or I would take one. It does have a small dent in the door of im thinking it got hit and bent the wheel but idk for sure. No noise when running and minimal vibrations, im honestly surprised that it doesn't vibrate way worse then it does with the way the wheel is

Just being who I am I'd have to try unbending it. Nothing to lose and some fun at the least.

Ckeck in over at OWWM site. You can ask there about repair or put up a ad for a replacement wheel. Mike O'Keefe

There are also aftermarket cast iron wheels.

I have wished that I never put all the money I did into mine, but that was before better steel framed saws were available for not a lot more money.