Thread: Saw the vortex today at Woodcraft... just winked at me.

Red face Saw the vortex today at Woodcraft... just winked at me.

So, I'm just getting my feet wet in turning. Doing small stuff on my midi. Decided I needed larger jaws for my little midi chuck (Nova) and stopped in to Woodcraft today. Was walking over to the turning tools section and noticed a larger lathe on display, a Rikon. I've been in that store a half dozen times this year and never paid that lathe any attention. But I noticed it today... wink.

Got over that distraction and found the jaws. ....And then I noticed the midi chuck sitting there. A couple days ago I realized why you guys have so many chucks as I changed jaws for the second time in the afternoon. I stewed over that chuck for 15 minutes, and then caved. Merry Christmas to me!

Guess that vortex is real. Better start saving for the big lathe.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, unfortunately, the lathe itself is the least expensive part of this adventure. Good luck avoiding the vortex. It's all out consuming, but I love it! Could be worse, I tell my wife, at least I'm not annoying her while I'm in my shop turning.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Embrace the vortex. It leads to nirvana. (Or maybe poverty)

There is nothing like the satisfaction of when you buy that new tool and it actually works as well as advertised. It just makes you want that next fix.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Embrace the vortex. It leads to nirvana. (Or maybe poverty)
    According to St Francis and some Buddhists poverty is Nirvana. I’m too used to being “rich” that I’m afraid of being poor.