Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry and walnut dresser

Cherry and walnut dresser

The Boss wanted a narrow dresser with deep drawers with full extension for linens. I've got a thing for nicely curved legs, so I started with that, and a cherry panel. This is the first project where I hand cut all the tenons - used the mortiser for the holes. Cutting the shoulders at the bench with the hook was hard on the back so I made a small hook I could clamp in the moxon - much better. Maybe on the next one, all hand work. But the Bontz saw was a pleasure to use in a decent workout. I screwed a guide block from the cutoffs of the curves to the base of the Makita router and made the dado for the panels and used the router table for the rabbits for the inside panels.

20201124_150820.jpg 20201124_151721.jpg 20201128_173109.jpg image-20201203_153953.jpg image-20201203_153926.jpg

The back panel will be ship lapped poplar and the interior of the side panels will get 1/8" cedar. I have a live edge walnut slab she wants for the top - I have reservations about that, so we'll see. The drawers will be poplar or bass wood, with a cherry face - now all I have to do is find 2 more pieces of nice clear cherry that are 12 x 48. Piece o cake. I really like to break the corners by sanding - just think it looks better than a block plane, or a round over bit. And it's always been a PITA to hold the rails etc over the edge of the bench to sand them. A bulb went off and I figured this would be easier and it is. Holds the edge up for easy sanding and works with any width board.

20200825_175552.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I will be following this one Bill...that panel showcases cherry's attractive grain when flat sawn.

Thats super nice, I look forward to the updates.

Love the design, Bill. Is it an optical illusion, or are the side panels slightly curved as well? Really like cherry and walnut together. That’s going to look great when the finish goes on.

Thanks gents. Phil - yes the cherry panels are 1/4" and are set in dados that follow the curve of the leg.

Your shop looks like a field hospital.

Where's all the sawdust, partially finished projects and rusting antiques?

Heresy

Looks great so far bill I’ll be following this one love the Walnut and cherry

Jim M -
    I don't have any unfinished projects. But I have a lot of firewood..............

LOL, great line Bill.

The boss came into the shop to review my progress today, and she loves the cathedrals in the bent panels on the sides of the dresser. Likes them a bit too much as it turns out. Here's the conversation line for line:

Her: Wow the sides look great. What do you call that.
    Me: cathedral pattern.
    Her: I really like it.
    Her: It's going to look great on the front too.
    Her: I mean with the cathedrals pointing up just like the sides.
    Her: It's going to be wonderful.
    Her: I'm loving it already.
    Her: And the front is going to look really cool.
    Her: see ya inside for dinner. Bye.
    Me: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2020-12-09_21h47_51.png

You're describing the Writer's bullpen after George Lucas left the first reading of his Star Wars "prequel".

George - "That's great. Now toss in a few Kurosawa references, work in how much I hate sand and give me a new plush character to sell for merch."

"Otherwise, it's perfect."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You're describing the Writer's bullpen after George Lucas left the first reading of his Star Wars "prequel".

George - "That's great. Now toss in a few Kurosawa references, work in how much I hate sand and give me a new plush character to sell for merch."

"Otherwise, it's perfect."

Pretty much. The dresser is 44" wide, 33" tall, so of course all the cherry is cut rough at 48" for horizontal drawer fronts. Looks like I'll be making some boxes about 15" x 6" or so.

More, I want more, now! Explain your concept to the Boss, it is your design (and it it beautiful), get your butt back into the shop and finish this inspired piece now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    More, I want more, now! Explain your concept to the Boss, it is your design (and it it beautiful), get your butt back into the shop and finish this inspired piece now.
    No, these are going to have cathedral drawers. Already started on them. Should be interesting. And fronts are applied so I can always change them if it gets too fubar.

But I took a break from it to make some adjustable height sawhorses so I can bring the dresser to the right level to work on it. Tired of either sitting on a bucket or standing on a stool.

Good for you Bill. I was going to suggest that if you don’t go with the live edge on the top that you consider a concave front edge that mirrors the arch in the legs. I love the contrast of the panels and the legs. Like others, I look forward to seeing you next set of pics.