Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table saw advice

Well this would be a brand new motor but that is still certainly good advice that I didnt think about. Right after I sent the last reply, I get a text message back from the guy saying "my boss wants $1000 for parts and labor to replace the motor and switch, making the total price be $2800". Now I don't really feel like I'm getting a "good deal". I still think I'm doing "ok" based on this is still an American made saw in excellent condition that will last me the rest of my life. FYI im 32 years old. The biggest problem is that all the other forums I can find are either people buying saws in great condition that are from 10 years ago, or they are buying saws that almost have to be completely restored for $500 or so. Is $2800 a good deal for what I am getting? Great condition PM 66 with a brand new Baldor 3hp motor. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Solomon View Post
    Well this would be a brand new motor but that is still certainly good advice that I didnt think about. Right after I sent the last reply, I get a text message back from the guy saying "my boss wants $1000 for parts and labor to replace the motor and switch, making the total price be $2800". Now I don't really feel like I'm getting a "good deal". I still think I'm doing "ok" based on this is still an American made saw in excellent condition that will last me the rest of my life. FYI im 32 years old. The biggest problem is that all the other forums I can find are either people buying saws in great condition that are from 10 years ago, or they are buying saws that almost have to be completely restored for $500 or so. Is $2800 a good deal for what I am getting? Great condition PM 66 with a brand new Baldor 3hp motor. ?
    No way. The negotiated price was $2200 if they refuse to honor that price walk away and be glad you found out now you can't trust that dealer. I have time in on a PM66 and it is a nice saw but not worth $2800 used especially after the price was negotiated at $2200.
    Fair warning I do own a SawStop ICS with all options at the time of sale, it did cost a lot more. I wasn't aware of slider saws when I bought my SawStop and possibly would have ended up with a short stroke slider
    You state you are 32 and buying this saw for life. SLOW DOWN. I think you need to look at sliders, SawStop and Grizzly take some time and really research this. OR do like most of us have. Buy something, out grow it, have to depose of it, I am not good at this(bought 3 table saws), some people are great selling for a profit. Buy another one until you finally are happy
    good luck
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Having put my left forefinger into the blade on my saw, I recommend the Sawstop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Solomon View Post
    $2200 for that older used saw is way too much. Even in Canada where our money isn't worth much. Having a new motor is not really worth a lot because motors last almost as long as the saw anyway. That's well over half the cost of a brand new SawStop ICSS, which is a way better saw. I think you lucked out that he want's another $800 because that gives you an excuse to back out of a bad deal.

I'd do as Ron suggests & look at a slider. They do many things so much better & safer than a North American table saw

I really like my PM66 and doubt I'll upgrade it any time soon. But I don't care for the splitter. Too often I have to stop to remove it because I'm not making a through cut. It's so easy to say "it's nice straight dry wood, I'm in a grove, I'll put it back on later". Mine also has that same blade guard and I've never used it. The dust collection isn't very good and I see that the saw is missing the plastic cover over the motor which will make dust collection almost worthless. I do like that it's made in America but it's not like buying a used saw that's no longer made here is going to support American workers and the quality of the tools coming out of Taiwan easily matches it on the SawStop.

For $2000(ish) I would be tempted but for $2800 I would pass. You talked about auctions so I assume you are ok with buying from them. As I posted there's a Powermatic 2000 just outside of NYC that'll sell for under $1500 with loading and the buyer's fee I think I would be more interested in. It's not made in the US but it does have a riving knife and new parts are easier to come by. A used SawStop PCS just sold today for a little over $1600 so I would expect the PM2000 to sell for hundreds less.

If your heart is set on a PM66 then so be it, that's what you should get. I wouldn't worry too much about paying hundreds more if I knew that's what I really wanted. I did the same thing when I bought my powermatic jointer. I found exactly what I wanted and drove 44 1/2 hours to get it. I didn't haggle over price. It was at the upper end of what I felt the going price was and was very lightly used. I have no regrets. My advice is based on dollars. There will always be another PM66 for sale in great shape. Too many hobbyists own them.

Agree with the others, $2800 is pretty steep. I bought a really nice Uni with all the Biesemeyer stuff for $500 last year. I think the PM66 is more valuable because they are scarcer in good shape, but not at nearly 3K with a moving price tag. Offer to walk, I bet they figure out a better deal.

Get the saw you want though, it'll be an inspiration to you every time you use it. Settle for something else and you will regret the one that got away, every time you use it.

I could see $1800 with the new motor included but not $2800...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So much wrong with this thread. If you want old machinery, go to OWWM for advice. This is more a SawStop and euro slider type group.

Is $2800 a good deal for what I am getting?

I'd say you're getting the Ben Dover special.

Will help for you to add your location into your profile. That way people can help out if they see something near you, and it will help them quantify your market prices. SanFran machines sell for more than they do in Paducah, KY.

I have to agree with all of you. I could do with paying $2200 for the saw with a new motor and being ok with it, but not $2800. I did just happen to find another 66 this afternoon at an auction that's a lot closer to me, so maybe I'll get lucky with that one that just so happens to be 220, single phase (picture below). Like I said, I had a PM2000 that I bought brand new in 2008 for $2700. Looking at the price tag today of $3500 on a new PM2000B makes me want to try out the PM66 that I see threads on the internet all the time about people raving out how much they love them. As for the sawstop, I'm just not sold on them.

What? How could you pay even $2200? You should be able to buy 2 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What? How could you pay even $2200? You should be able to buy 2 for that.
    Where do you look for something like this? I typically look on exfactory, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace and everything I’ve seen in the last 6 months has sold for between $2000-$2500, unless it’s something g that needs a full restoration with a whole new paint job.

This 3hp one is brand new for 1700 with a fence in Charlotte. It’s a lifetime saw.
    I have the 1992 version that I bought used. Mine is right tilt and the only TS I ever used so not a problem. Tell them I sent you. No tax added for SC delivery.
    http://leneavesupply.com/10inchcabinettablesaw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    So much wrong with this thread. If you want old machinery, go to OWWM for advice. This is more a SawStop and euro slider type group.
    Yeah it’s kind of a cult over there. American iron or nothing. I like old iron but am not opposed to the new stuff. If I wanted a new TS I’d sooner buy a SS than most of the other new, current offerings, Powermatic included.

15. Minimax 3c in Tampa listed in the classifieds. Once you use a slider you will not want to go back.